Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fiddle Tunes - Port Townsend, WA

Good to hear from you John. I’d had been wondering where you disappeared to and hoped that you were well and just busy with other things. I’ve liked your enthusiasm for cajun accordion and am glad to see that it hasn’t diminished.

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the comment. The enthusiasm hasn't dimmed a bit. I practice at least a little every single day. I wish mightily for folk with whom to play, but I love the music enough that it's enough for me just to play.

Having been to both Fiddle Tunes and to Balfa, I'd say that Balfa is the place to go if you want Cajun. Fiddle Tunes is great, but it does a lot of stuff of which Cajun music is just one and has apparently been marginalized over the years. Joel Savoy being the new artistic director may breathe some Cajun life back into Fiddle Tunes though - we'll see.

John in Oregon

Hey John! My friend Ian sent me a link to your post. Thank you! I had a great time hanging out with you, too, and the rest of y'all. I hope I get to do it again soon. In the meantime I'll be working on more tricks for How to Fake Cajun Accordion 201 ;) Currently playing some really cool "waterfall" licks of my dad's that remind me of classical piano, as well as some of that crazy Eddie LeJeune style ring-finger pumping. Take care and keep it up! Loved your singing, too.

Warm regards from Paris

Sarah,

Well, you've piqued my interest :-)

I don't suppose you could direct us to a link that demo's "Waterfall Licks"?
I'd love to hear what that is (along with the rest of the discussion group
here, I'm sure :-) )

By the way, my "brand new girlfriend" will be heading to Paris soon.
You'll have to let us know your performance itinerary there!

Thank you,

--Big Nick

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!