Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For Sale: Dove Accordion in C - $650

This is a Louisiana accordion, hand made in (most likely) the 1980's and then refurbished/rebuilt with new reeds and new bellows by Mr. Rufus Foreman of Sunset, LA, who may or may not still be with us (I believe he was 85 in 2009, when the previous owner of this box bought it). It comes with a hand-made hard case, which you can see in the back of the second photo posted here.

A decade ago I decided to try to learn the Cajun accordion, bought a Chinese box on eBay, and after a couple weeks found the instrument so difficult and so awful sounding that I give up entirely. Ten years later, after a week at the Festivals Acadiens, I decided to give the accordion another try, and I picked up this Dove second hand from someone at this site. I played it for 3 months, really enjoyed the sound and the experience, and as a result felt confident enough and committed enough to drop $2500 for an Acadian. I have no regrets whatsoever about either purchase.

This is not a perfect instrument, it is not a long-term instrument, but when I had Larry Miller look it over at Augusta last month, he agreed that it is an excellent alternative to a Chinese Ebay special or a Hohner Ariette. Email me and I'll fill you in on the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Re: For Sale: Dove Accordion in C - $650

With all the stops down it looks like it plays like a Chinese box. Good luck with your sale

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!