Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Waterfall" licks?

Hello all!

In a recent posting here, Sarah Savoy had mentioned playing "waterfall" licks.

Has anyone an example of playing "waterfall" licks? I'd like to know more about
this technique :-)

Thanks!

--Big Nick

Re: "Waterfall" licks?

It's a guitar term for a cascading series of notes such as in this video.

Yes .. but ..

Thank you Jeff ..

But, how is Sarah Savoy applying this to the Cajun Accordion?

Merci ..

Re: Yes .. but ..

Pay no attention to what that girl says Big Nick. She's just a siren put here on Earth to baffle and confuse mankind on behalf of the Cajun Royal Family. So she mentions the words "Waterfall Licks" but doesn't offer an explanation as though its a common term amongst accordion players? I can tell you this...It's a new age term and it didn't exist back in the days of the Cajun accordion masters which is all that matters when it comes to playing Cajun accordion. She is a guitar player first and foremost after all. Maybe she was using the term for guitar playing? I could only give my best guess as to what the hell she was talking about if she was talking about accordion playing at all. Maybe its a procession of button presses that set you up to "fancily fall" into the turn of a Cajun song?? Either way, I don't feel comfortable with her using that kind of talk. It makes me feel inferior and longing to strip off all my clothes, shower and scrub myself while I cry like a woman who's been taken against her will. It's as if all that I have learned on accordion is suddenly not good enough because I don't know jack about "Waterfall Licks".

Well, you do make a point.

Thanks Mr Guy. Glad you were able to sift through it all to actually find my point right there at the end.

Arpeggiated (arpeggio) fill-in licks.

Think Irish Trad box playing... rolls and cranns.

Also used in Irish "Penny" whistle playing.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!