Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Savoy Family Band traditional?

Don, I undrstand, and respect, where you are coming from. But I'm pretty sure I know where Marc is, in his long musical journey, and his family is part of it.

Think about this... His wife plays, and sings several types of music. His children play, and sing several types of music.The Savoy Family Band, is a family democracy. And I believe Marc also enjoys his family adding their input.

He is not a dictator, of his family's influences, through music.. Just my .5 cents.

Jim:
I hope I am not coming across as having ill will towards Marc or his family, as that is certainly not the case. The very little time I have spent with Marc, he has come across as a very fine man. He even had me come to his home on a Sunday morning back in 1994 when I was in Eunice. I will never forget that. I stated in my original post that I have always respected Marc for his efforts to keep Cajun Music "pure" and as close to traditional as he could. Also, as you have read, I voiced my opinion about Marc's well known comments he has voiced through the years that have been harsh towards non-traditionalists in Cajun music. If I can remember correctly in one of his articles, he stated traditional bands were Accordion, Guitar, Fiddle. Just so happens those are the three instruments in Savoy-Doucet. Also the Savoy-Menard-Balfa recordings. With Cheese Reed? The same. With Savoy-Smith?
I believe he does open himself up to criticism because of his long held stance on what is "Cajun Music" and his past statements about musicians/bands who had drums, etc.. If anything, this discussion has caused me to want to go back and start looking for and reading everything I can find about Marc's musings he has documented through the years.

Thanks for your input.

Don, what's your "long held craft"? Let's see it, Greezy McGill. Or maybe your brother, in TROLL arms?

To "Don"

Lets see you play it. C'mon Troll.

Re: To "Don"

Before your trolling, on the WWW, you best play, before you think you know Jack-****.

Hey Jum, it Greezy here, no he isn't connected to me in any way other than being an accordion player. Don't knock me man, I have good intentions. This "Marc Savoy" discussion is interesting isn't it. It's a big can of worms, but it was destined to come out.

Jim, are you the BmoreBusker guy? If so, I know why you don't like me. I have criticized you for trying to parakeet Marc Savoy's playing. I have also done the same thing in trying to prove I was a good accordion player by showing off that I could play like Marc, but eventually I saw the wisdom in changing my style to "parakeet" the Old Masters instead of Marc's. Now a days, I am learning to grow beyond "parakeeting" and actually grow my own style. That's hard to do with Cajun Accordion playing because its all been done before and there is nothing new under the sun. Unless of course you screw it up enough, then it becomes new trash.

Greezy Don

I had a feeling, I could read your persona, 1000 times, over.

There's a third personality, that needs an identity. That of which you have echoed, for years. Jeff Hildreth, take a bow, or hook up with your ex-personas / *****footing.

PLAY THIS MUSIC, YOU TURD.

The "Big Three" lying as'shole Trolls.

Maybe I'm just guessing, but your long winded sh't, sounds exactly familiar.

Play it 3 personalities, before you're all 3, one in the same. Speak a big talk, but show NO EVIDENCE, of your bull**** claims.

Again. pLAY ANY OF IT.

Re: The "Big Three" lying as'shole Trolls.

Jim:

I have been on this forum for years. I have even friended you on Facebook in the past because you play accordion. Remember your winning the John Doucet accordion on eBay that we were both bidding a few years ago? Remember my asking you about John Doucets accordions because I was thinking about buying one? So unless you are referring to someone else, I don't quite understand how you can call me a troll on this board. I hate to bring Bryan LeFleur's name into this, but he has done some mods on my Hohners, so he knows I am not as you say, a troll. Pretty disappointed in your attack, but nothing I can do about that.

Don

Greezy Fu$ck

Parakeet ? Your ****-sucking self-sucking LIES, dip****. Speak yourself, Jeffy- Don- Greezy. You're nothing, kids.

Re: Greezy Fu$ck

I am a liar? since you are calling me a liar:

To chat with Jim and other friends, turn on chat.
Chat Conversation Start

Member of Fred Charlie Cajun Show Listeners
Studied at too many
08/27/2015 12:26PM
Hi Jim:
I just wanted to check in and ask you if you are still satisfied with The red 'Hohner reeded' CAJUN Accordion from John Doucet? The one you won on eBay. I will be contacting John about building me an accordion, but am curious how that accordion is holding up. Keep up the great playing.

Don
08/27/2015 3:34PM

Hi Don, i've gotten tons of use outta that'n, for sure. The Hohner reeds are more likely to break, thsn Binci, but they sound better. Although they don't respond as super fast like inci, IMHO, they sound far greater.
Forgot to mention, i put Salpa reeds in the bass side, which helps playability, but they are extinct reeds.
Glad to here it is standing up to heavy use. I think it is crazy what John is selling his accordions for. Sure, he may not be as well known, as Marc Savoy, but his accordions are really good.

Yeah, he is the most generous guy. He's really helped me out over the years, especially MT PRE-war Globe accordions. Nothing like the sound of those old reeds all the same used in Sterling, Monarchs and Globes, but are somewhat gas guzzlers
08/28/2015 3:36AM

Hey Don, don't mention to Elton I mentioned this, but I'm pretty sure if you had him put your Hohner's reeds in a new accordion, it will bring down the cost. Even your Hohner's bellows should bring it down even more, but Italian bellows are far superior. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but it's worth asking him.

This thread has gotten carried FAR FAR away from it's original point. SMH

Anyone of you 3 brown stars

Play it, you three turds.

Re: Anyone of you 3 brown stars

Grow up Jim.

Donny - suck your own dick, before you talk, like your alters.

LAst words to you. Rather than keep acting the fool, Why don't you check your Facebook messages Jim? Our conversation is still up in chat.

Don = Jeff y = "McSleazy"

Pieces of dung. Your 3 arseholes belong, drowned.

To the coward, Don

*******. Play, before you speak. LIES.

jeffrey- Don - Mc****...... Give me your one phone number.

Pieces of 3 liars.

Re: jeffrey- Don - Mc****...... Give me your one phone number.

Do you think I am going to give you my phone number so you can start harassing me? Sorry. I sent you a message on Facebook that continued our conversation as I posted earlier, so you can send me a message there where I have proof that you DID correspond with me as I posted. You know **** well I am who I say I am, earlier. Why you are making an ass out of yourself only you know. I have nothing more to say to you on this forum Jim.

Wow... Jim Pettijohn is a hell of a player with his own style. And considering his health challenges, I'm amazed he even plays at all. We may have had our spats but after knowing folks who deal with his issues, I have a lot of respect for him and for his playing.

As far as Marc's family, if it wasn't for Marc, the Cajun scene would probably be much smaller than it is today (in my opinion, YMMV). He may be crusty but he built the accordions that bridged the gap between the old Sterlings and the current scene of many good makers. His kids and his wife Ann are terrific players and great folks. Any of you guys that want to get on stage with Marc and cut heads,let me know, I'd love to watch.

His accordions have their own sound and it seems a lot of great players prefer it as do I. Plus, everyone knows that butt joints are the choice for better tone. wink, wink, nod, nod hello Jeff-san...

In other news, I've retired and found some folks to play with on the accordion for the first time in my life. Big fun...

Tommy:

I agree with everything you said in your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. I certainly have never said the Savoys were not good people. I don't see how your comment about cutting heads with Marc is relevant to the original topic. No one compares to Marc. I certainly can't play like any of them do; not many can. In regards to Jim, his health issues don't give him carte blanche to act like a 9 year old because he doesn't like what someone says.

Bad Behaviour

On any other forum/discussion group..there is one poster whose comments would be grounds for permanent removal.
Why one person is allowed to do this ,one more time, suggests he is a member of an "inner circle". And who, much like Savoy, can and do, get away with bad behaviour..

There is no excuse, health or otherwise, to make personal insults,slag, harass, or other wise threaten other posters. None.

And, it appears that some posts, that were not attacking other forumites, but stating fact and personal observation, have been removed.

Re: Bad Behaviour

To Jeff, Don, and Jim. I think I am to blame for all of this. Jim took a disliking to me in a bad way and thinks Don, Jeff, and Greezy are one in the same. I'm glad to know there are a couple of guys out there that see it similar like I do. So similar in fact, as to fool the pants off of Jim Petijon. But I don't hold nothing against ole Jim. I learned a few things from watching him play on YouTube. In particular, I liked the way he played "An Altered HA-114 Accordion in "D".
Linked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qkA44rdgUo
I now play this song the way he does, which for some reason is very close to Marc Savoy's version. LOL.

Great Tom that you can play music with others.
Lots of fun with that :-)
I also hope that the quarrel is ended now

I never saw a Quarrel. I read some seriously maligned comments that were unwarranted.

Jim is one helluva player.. no doubt about that.

The Savoy(s) really do believe that they establish and portray the Cajun Tradition.

I happen to disagree.

i was fortunate enough to take in a Savoy Family band show this summer. All i can say is they rocked it! I had commented to my wife about non-traditionallty of the show, but she said they rocked it. This was at the Grassroots music fest in Trumansburg , NY. Its a hippyish festival but people know their roots, Walter Mouton performs there every years for 26 years , as well as the Frank family. Play good music is the goal and the goal was achieved

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!