Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My apologies to the forum members

Thanks Mr Guy. Your quote of Oscar Wilde is appropriate.

Re: My apologies to the forum members

Don, I happen to think your original post was refreshing and helped to farther the consciousness of the group. It took us to a place that addressed an on going problem in the Cajun Music Accordion Playing genre. Oh yeah, there's still a long way to go to understanding the phenom of the Cajun Accordion. It has not been "all pretty" throughout its evolution. Many foreigners to Louisiana as well as native Louisiana Cajuns have strayed away from the original idea and turned it into a dancing chicken show and a money making exploitation that has its clicks and incrowds and bad ideas. I don't like this path at all. The original intention, the way I understand it, was for both white and black poor Cajun people to learn on german made accordions and try to reproduce a music that was sung only by mouth and played only on fiddle by musicians of the past. It was a hand me down thing ever evolving taking from music and instruments available during each time period, until it reached its zenith in the early and mid 1900's, and made a comeback in the 1980's "accordion strong". The fiddle and ballod singing took a back seat to the accordion, and now we seek out all three to be done together perfectly and in a traditional manner that will bring us back to better times. Times that are long gone, but much sought after by people both Cajun and non Cajun. We try hard, but those times cannot be reproduced perfectly, and we sit in the here and now in lacking trying to figure out what the hell happened. Now, we are on the way to figure out "What The Hell Happened Then, and What The Hell Is Happening Now. Just like the "Country Music" genre. Those young no shirt, smashed cowboy hat wearing, techno country lip sinking idiots of today can't hold a candle up to Conway, George Jones, Merle, etc. I bid you all adure, or is it adue, or maybe neither one?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!