Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Martin/Savoy/Castagnari

Once upon a time a good fellow went to Selmer factory for a saxophone, then told them their sax were wrong because he wanted to play piano music and wanted the sax to act, play and sound like a piano, as he insisted, they said why don't you go to the right music shop instead of wanting us make what we do not ?
He then leaved very angry because he didn't manage Selmer to agree his point of view that a sax should sound like a piano.
After that he told Jordi Savall and Harnoncourt that their way of playing baroque music with historical instruments was wrong because modern romantic instruments were far better, played quicker, had better vibrato (that no one cares in baroque music), were builded more modern and delicate way then the harsh direct sound of ancient ones, and as he did'nt understand that it could be a special choice of musical interpretation, he leaved very angry and disapointed.
He kept ranting into forum threads, crying about how rude and impolite these guys were, involving their very name.

I sincerely hope my good fellow won't chose accordion for his next experiments,
he for sure would intrusively ask some wellkown brand to ....
Oup's ! He did !

Good fellow, please keep on telling us your truth about accordions, maybe we will see our differences of view, accept them or maybe could eventually learn something from each other,
but please stop insulting namely someone not present here in this thread with whom you had personnal grief.
Call it Web-Ethics for example.
This is simply what's creates agressive answers that you will complain about !

Christophe..
I am confused.. are you referring to me and my observations and comments about Marc Savoy?

He is universally known as an arrogant, impolite, and rude man. Many have experienced this. I am not alone, others have posted the same thing here. Who are you singling out.. me ? Why?

These are facts.. and my experience tells me that facts, and observations have no place on discussion groups. Must uphold myths and "heroes".

There are better accordeons than Savoy accordeons and there are many more polite and friendly Cajuns; he , to me, does not represent the Cajuns I have met nor their culture. His accordeons are average, nothing special.

He is an excellent accordion player.

Additionally:

".....Cajun style accordion..._"

Referring to Gilles.

A "Cajun Style Accordeon" is a copy of European made accordeons..
see previous posts.

That last line should have read..

A "Cajun Style Accordeon" is a copy of European made accordeons, but made by a Cajun.

See previous posts.

I do not want a piano sax or a sax piano. Irrelevant nonsense.

I have stated simply that Cajun accordeons are intended for Cajun style play and other accordeons are made for another style of play.

I very clearly have stated that many times.. though I have also mentioned that Quebec players, Brits, Irish and others have Cajun made accordeons and play them, often after they have been diddled by their own box techs.

I have also clearly stated that many accordeons, Quebec, French, Italian, English, and Irish made one rows seem to be of a higher standard of workmanship, and in many cases material and design, that I personally find superior to the majority of Cajun made instruments.

This is not unlike saying that Mercedes Benz vehicles are superior to Fords.
Ford makes the best Fords, Mercedes (without Chrysler's interference) makes the best Mercedes.

Your experience, or lack of same, or opinion, may vary.

The original post was simply my opinion of the comparision of a MArtin to a Savoy and a Savoy and Martin to a Castagnari.. and my friend's impression.. he a box player and professional musician and owner of two Cajun made accordeons..

We both preferred the Martin over the Savoy and the Castagnari over either of those.

Simple.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!