Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cheap accordeon sounding great

You can't go wrong if you play it right. Here Dutch cajun accordeon player Wim Nagtegaal playing a cheap German box(and by lack of fiddle players he started playing the fiddle himself as you can see later in this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hjQ8TzzvY

Gus (still alive and playing, btw on this video on guitar)

Re: cheap accordeon sounding great

Thanks for the link.. good stuff.

I played the same box for 3 years. Sold it to a player 3000 miles away. It came back west another 1800 miles where Jude Moreau tweaked it.

They came labeled Gallota, Regal and several other names.

Lots of great music has been made on inexpensive boxes to include Hohner.

Thanks Jeff,

it's a Harmona/ Weltmeister and I guess it has undergone tuning by someone who knows how to tune a cajun accordeon.

Gus, what's wrong with that accordion player. Don't he know it's not polite to play the fiddle when you're supposed to be playin accordion. He's BALL HOGGIN it!!

Well, no fideler wants to play with him, no serious, in the Netherlands cajun fiddlers are very rare ( less than 5, maybe 2, ask meloderon) and that is the only reason he started to play the fiddle. So cajun fiddlers: come to Holland!

Re: cheap accordeon sounding great & fiddle

I didn't know about the polite-remark and fiddle or accordion playing
And Gus is right about Cajun fiddlers here in the low lands.
They are very rare and other people who want to play Cajun music are very lonely
And if there are fiddle/violin players who want to play Cajun they "refuse" to play on a lower tuned fiddle to play with a C-accordion, because they think "It's also possible on a normal tuned fiddle".
Instead of playing rhythm during singing or accordionplay they are always busy with showing there skills and licks
And it caused the lack of the typical drone-sound of the fiddle.
Oeps, I'm not used to be that critical

I too like his playing and the sound of his accordion (but why does he sing another melody?).

Also (great player on a cheap accordion - 1972):

From Dedans le Sud de la Louisiane
http://www.fremeaux.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=26&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1747&option=com_virtuemart

Thanks Christian, that was amazing!

I played on a couple Gabby's and had a Welty, I liked the sound of both. But from a construction standpoint, the Gabby is much better made. I don't turn my nose up at these boxes, they play well and sound better than some hand mades I've heard. And in the right hands....

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!