Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Joe Rogers "Traditional Cajun Accordion - Beginner Level Instruction"

If I'm right this instructional tape was included when somebody buys an accordion from Junior Martin.

I think I have those VHS tapes lying around here somewhere's too :-)

It's purely subjective weather the tapes "are good" or not, so I cannot
offer an opinion on that.

But .. I can tell you that my mode of learning (especially, if traveling to
Louisiana is not an option) is to get my hands on every single last documented
lesson I can find .. Especially when starting out.

I figure, if you just learn one new song from the VHS tape, it's already
worthwhile to have it xferred to DVD :-)

--BN

I was given a Joe Rogers accordion instruction VHS tape when I started out playing. The only thing I remember learning and keeping was one short series of notes he played for "La Port d'en Arriere". I also owned an accordion 3rd or 4th hand that was made for him specifically, but he saw fit to get rid of it. Probably because it was pretty heavy and had a sluggish response. It looked good, but its playing left a lot to be desired.

Like Big Nick said, you can learn a little something from most everything Cajun you can get your hands on. But I suggest going back to the older Cajun music recordings (the rare ones) and trying to beat out the song by ear, even if your accordion is in the wrong key. Try to make it work! When you can do it that way without videos and numbers written down for each button pull or push, then you're learning like a true Cajun would learn. Learning by the numbers!!! Laughable man....just laughable.

Also, Cajuns usually had only one accordion in the old days. They copied from recording sometimes even though the recordings they copied from featured accordions in a different key from the listeners accordion. Have you ever tried to convert a Cajun song played on a D accordion to be able to play it on your C accordion and vice versa. When you can do that, then you're on your way to figuring out a whole lot of $h!t about the accordion. Pardon my French. LOL.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!