Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How Many Accordions Does It Take?

To AJ...My D is a lacquered Black Gabbi King. With the higher quality reeds in it of course, and decked out with Cajun leather strapping instead of that stiff red crap they put on it. I had a Cajun Box builder order this King for me and he had some say as to the reeds that would be put in it by Gabbanelli. It cost me $850 back then when they were first introduced to Louisiana. That Gabbi King is hands down the best action, feel, and weight on any accordion I've owned. In fact, I had my Acadian reconfigured to match the button tension to match the Gabbi King. This Gabbi King is my "Tit Noir". I can play lick for lick and sound for sound against Nathan Abshire's recordings when he plays songs in the key of "D". The quentesential "Cajun" sound comes from this accordion. Thanks for the support for Gabbanelli King. I back you 100%. The reason people don't like the King is because of the manufactured metal stopper tops. I think they are so insecure with their playing that they think the material the stoppers are made of affects their overall presentation. They are afraid others will judge them and their accordion badly by the way the stoppers make the Gabbanelli King accordion look. By all means, they don't want to look like an uninformed novice with metal stoppers on a cheap beginner accordion!!

I'll pit me and my King any day against any player, but in person. And I'll beat most of them out. Not on video right Jim?

You guys have some pretty awesome responses to this topic. All of youz. I'm still contemplating my answers. Can't rush such a subject I think.

Note that the Gabb Cajun King has stand up reed blocks.

I'll bet it has Cagnoni reeds.

And, Gabb does not make that box.

there is no reason to judge others that have more accordions than you think is necessary.

in any hobby/interest, there are always people with more money to spend than others.

so what's the problem?

take bicycle racing. you can spend $20,000 on a bike that makes you feel faster, even if it only takes you from 101st place to 93rd.

it's up to the person with the money, and or the person with a job to do and the need for tools to do it.

at least the accordions don't really lose their value.

in that sense, it isn't even ''spending''..

wle

Different time, different place, different value system.

I have two.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!