Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How Many Accordions Does It Take?

To Meloderon, I know exactly what you're saying about putting your hands on an accordion that has a sound and playability that you notice right away. It pulls on you and even makes you're playing better. And you wonder to yourself why your other accordions don't have what this one has?! And it doesn't have to be a high priced name brand accordion that produces such a noticeable effect on you. It can be a cheap priced accordion with some high quality parts and high quality workmanship built by a person that knows what an accordion player will prefer and buy with great satisfaction afterwards. Remember..Sterlings once sold for $50-$80!! Imagine that. Now, for a rebuilt Sterling, they want $4000. Why, why, why!?? It may play and feel like crap (I've played a rebuilt Sterling and did not like it), but it's because of people that want to say they have a Sterling, that the price is driven to $4000. It's the nostalgia that it brings too. But in my experience, you can't buy nostalgia. It's a feeling that comes to you, not a material possession that you can own.

Wow $4000 for a rebuilt Sterling?!?!?!?!? Yikes. But yeah, supply and demand. Supply is extremely low, so price goes way up if the demand is there.

I would like to point out that the same Sterling that cost $50 to $80 back in the day, if you adjusted for inflation would put it well over $1000 in todays dollars. Just sayin'

I know David. Inflation. Look at that word. Inflation. Did the Sterling inflate to a better accordion or grow in physical size? No, the idea that it got more valuable grew in size. To inflate is to expand right? Well its not our dollars that are expanding and becoming more versatile that's for sure. The prices of things are inflating, not the dollar. It's somebody's idea that the Sterling is worth more now than then. The amount of dollars it takes to purchase the Sterling has expanded. Because of somebody's wise idea and others willingness to agree to such an idea. What if the owner of the Sterling gets the bright idea to give it away to a deserving player? Does that act alone decrease the $4000 value of the Sterling. It does in my book.

I submit this idea. Let's say from now on.....THAT IT IS NOT THE ACCORDION THAT TURNS THE PLAYER INTO A LEGEND....But it is the player that turns the accordion into a legend if we're all willing to agree that's its a legend.

Such as in the case with Iry Lejeune's existing accordions, BB Kings guitar "Lucille", Paul McCartney's left handed base guitar. Marc Savoy's Acadian Brand.

Me 2, a C and a D. D can be fine for playing other one row music from all over the world, like irish and Quebec ( My D plays slightly faster).

Well, if I'm going on what I need vocally, like you, a C and D covers me and anyone I ever played with who sings. If I am going on my desire to own the work of certain makers, it's like six. It's not stupid. The accordion is a beautiful thing, worthy of being collected.

I own my great grandfathers 2 1/2 row D/G acc made around 1880.
I play it often
I have 3 early 1950s Hohners..
112 in A.. it is currently in pieces
113 in A
114 in C
I also have a Castagnari Melodeon in D

I have owned over 50 accordeons incluiding 14 Castagnaris and 20 Hohners and hand made Cajun boxes etc... and am decreasing the number I keep around.

As an aside..rather than have many accordeons in several keys the Irish gravitated toward 2 row 1/2 step boxes and commonly have 1 box either in B/C or C#/D. But they , too, are known to step out and buy 2 reed models, 3 reed models and buy flat keyed boxes ...or as with Joe Derraine( sp RIP) he played D/C#.

I know Irish players that have owned the same one and only accordion for 50 plus years. Then there are others who have collections, but still players not hoarders.

I am afflicted with BAS box acquisition syndrome but have toned it down I have been know to have had a dozen at one time.
When I got ill a few years back I offed 12 accordeons and all my building supplies. As the dumb phrase goes,, you do whatcha gotta do

I will keep my Castagnari D (because there is nothing that good currently produced, perhaps Beltuna) ) and am currently seeking a top quality 1/2 step box. At which point I will off my other Hohner one rows.

The 1/2 Step box I am considering.. actually 2.. range from $3500-8000 and worth it.. which is what I cannot say about some other accordeons.
Expensive yes, but considering the quality.. a bargain..

Look up :

Bertrand Gaillard
Brandoni Clover...
Or Castagnari Dinn III
and Briggs
These are all $3500-$8000
An instrument for a lifetime.
Folks in other cultures think that way.. I do.. I can't afford to be cheap

Again, unlike some accordeons, they are worth the money.

Speaking of Briggs.... 2 row 2 reeds.... one model.. that's it. Several years waiting time.. as is Gaillard.. not as bad as Briggs though.
Compare that to Acadian or Martin..
strictly speaking of

Design
Material
Workmanship

And before you accuse me of being some kinda rich guy..I worked my ass of over the last 50 plus years and did some right things.. and I have no debts and no expensive vices except bicycles and musical instruments and,.... my wife ! : )

I like the idea of only a couple accordeons.

http://briggsaccordions.com/home.html

http://www.gaillardaccordions.com/

This is a bit of a sore subject for me cus I've bought a few cheap accordions when really I should have bought a good LA made accordion in the first place!
Started on a C Welty which just about fell to bits due to heavy handedness and curiosity, then an amateur made one off cajun style in D with binci reeds but not great to play, followed by an old Hohner presswood 2 voice in Bb for zydeco experiment, then a German HA114 which is reliable, sounds great- but is still a bit rough to play, I also bought one of those old Hohner grand prix 1926 4 stoppers which is in pristine condition with a lovely action on the old style fingerboard but unfortunately the reeds are very quiet.
Nearly got the money together for a cajun box but needed to take the family on vacation so for some crazy reason bought a Gabbi King in G which I will say for the record is like having air con compared to the Hohners and the welty. A friend who has played English, Irish and shanty tunes on Castagnaris for years had a go and thought it was up there with them! I did tell him how much bad press they get among cajun players but he insisted that the quality was like the good Italian boxes- the bellows in particular, and I find it very comfortable to play and now my ears have adjusted- G is a great key, Keep thinkin I'll get the Hohner 114 reeds put in the Gabbi but I'll most likely keep it as it is as, it's fun and good enough for my purposes for now.
Hopefully one day I'll get a handmade LA box in C but now it's a hard to justify the expense, though I wouldn't have to if I'd just bought one in the first place!

To AJ...My D is a lacquered Black Gabbi King. With the higher quality reeds in it of course, and decked out with Cajun leather strapping instead of that stiff red crap they put on it. I had a Cajun Box builder order this King for me and he had some say as to the reeds that would be put in it by Gabbanelli. It cost me $850 back then when they were first introduced to Louisiana. That Gabbi King is hands down the best action, feel, and weight on any accordion I've owned. In fact, I had my Acadian reconfigured to match the button tension to match the Gabbi King. This Gabbi King is my "Tit Noir". I can play lick for lick and sound for sound against Nathan Abshire's recordings when he plays songs in the key of "D". The quentesential "Cajun" sound comes from this accordion. Thanks for the support for Gabbanelli King. I back you 100%. The reason people don't like the King is because of the manufactured metal stopper tops. I think they are so insecure with their playing that they think the material the stoppers are made of affects their overall presentation. They are afraid others will judge them and their accordion badly by the way the stoppers make the Gabbanelli King accordion look. By all means, they don't want to look like an uninformed novice with metal stoppers on a cheap beginner accordion!!

I'll pit me and my King any day against any player, but in person. And I'll beat most of them out. Not on video right Jim?

You guys have some pretty awesome responses to this topic. All of youz. I'm still contemplating my answers. Can't rush such a subject I think.

Note that the Gabb Cajun King has stand up reed blocks.

I'll bet it has Cagnoni reeds.

And, Gabb does not make that box.

there is no reason to judge others that have more accordions than you think is necessary.

in any hobby/interest, there are always people with more money to spend than others.

so what's the problem?

take bicycle racing. you can spend $20,000 on a bike that makes you feel faster, even if it only takes you from 101st place to 93rd.

it's up to the person with the money, and or the person with a job to do and the need for tools to do it.

at least the accordions don't really lose their value.

in that sense, it isn't even ''spending''..

wle

Different time, different place, different value system.

I have two.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!