Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 9 Button Miller for Sale

FWIW, Larry himself was selling a used Bon Cajun 9-button about a year ago for $1,400. I spent an enjoyable hour or so talking with him about it by phone before deciding to stick with my search for a 10-button box.

Agreed it is worth $1400 by someone who would use it as is..
I see it as "parts" to make a compact 10 button. ergo worth $300 to me..
I look at it as used bellows and reeds. The keyboard would have to go. Needs a mitered chassis etc.
I'd toss the majority of the hardware.

Not intending to insult the maker of this (another finely crafted, butt jointed) accordeon.

For $2400 you could buy a new Beltuna or Castagnari 10 button.. Granted they are not "Cajun" but the box being sold is not "Cajun" tuned..

It's a 9 button accordeon which appeals to 1 tenth of 1 percent of accordeon players.

"FWIW, Larry himself was selling a used Bon Cajun 9-button about a year ago for $1,400."

That would not be self serving would it.?. Naw.
What would you expect.? . he should be attempting to maintain the value of his product.

Hey David, it's been a long while since I've visited with you. Hope you're doing well. To answer your question about the difference in price, between a 9 button or 10 button accordion: I would say this, I've only built 3 in all my years of building them. Why, simple, the bellows are harder to come by.With all other factors remaining the same, the bellow for the 9 button is NOT what is considered to be a "normal" size. What I mean by that is, when ordering bellows from a manufacturer, that bellow would be a "special" order. Way back when, I think that the 9 button was a fad, an instrument that was smaller, an option intended as a "youth" model. The problem was, and still is, it takes just as much time ( maybe a little more ),and cost the same for parts ( maybe a little more )to build it. To me, the most important factor to consider is, if at some point in time, the bellow needs to be replaced, ?????
My 2 cents worth .

Hi Jude,

I am doing well and I hope you are too.

Thanks for the info about 9 button boxes. Makes perfect sense. It's always good to have the real info from someone who knows, rather than having to speculate or guess (which is all I can do).

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!