Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Plagiarism of Cajun Artist's Music in the Past and again in the Present

http://www.bopping.org/the-khourys-label-cajun-concern/

Folks, for your own enlightenment you should go to the above website and read through the story and listen to the recordings. You will begin to see and understand what happened with the recordings in the late 40's and throughout the 50's with the first era of the Cajun music revival. I can see how the second Cajun music revival in the 80's to present has gone the same way. Lots of Cajun musicians and non Cajun musicians plagiarizing the ole timers both ignorantly and shamelessly. If you listen and read closely to the above website you will begin to see which modern day musicians have done and are still doing this dirty deed. Some make a got dam good living out of it as a business! You will see which musicians of the past did it also. For example, I read a Yew Toob comment against The Savoys, namely Ann Savoy. It said aimed at the Magnolia Sisters..."Don't brainwash our young folks into thinking yall can re-invent Cajun music." and call it your own. WOW, nailed it!
After you read through the story and listen to the songs go to You Tube and type in the words (Cajun Honky Tonk Album). You will be given two top choices. Cajun Honky Tonk compilation, and the next will be Cajun Honky Tonk, The Khoury Recordings vol 3 compilation. Listen to all of the videos you can stand from both compilation list and you will see the light! Or you will get confused as o hell, or you will begin to realize that what you thought you knew about the Cajun Standards may just be all wrong and skewed up.

Plagiarism- an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author:
Some synonyms of plagiarism are (appropriation, infringement, piracy, counterfeiting; theft, borrowing, cribbing, passing off.) I could name a whole lot of names, but I don't want to bring down "The Cajun Royal Family" and their Prince of Mamou just yet. So go ahead, do your own research. Don't just sit there and wait for me to do it for you gat dammit!

Re: Plagiarism of Cajun Artist's Music in the Past and again in the Present

Big thanks Gee-Mac! The music alone makes that page really valuable but the information is priceless.

I have to say that I spent 20 yours of my young life playing the honky tonks of northern California. Played a lot of the Stones, Merle Haggard, Dylan, you name it. I always thought it was just making a living

Bob Zimmerman.. now a Nobel Prize winner ..

The most prolific plagiarist in modern times to include music, lyrics and paintings,

When I first met him he was a creep who could not sing, play guitar or harmonica.. who faked the brooding artist when in fact he was a morose malcontent parasite... who ripped off Woody Guthrie, Japanese poets, classical painters..

what a friggin putz.

Music has always built on the works of others. You hear and interesting rendition and add it to your music base. The old masters got their inspiration from the folks that they listened to and tomorrow's masters will build on todays greats.

What makes a great player is not the licks, runs and phasing they use; it is the insight and ability to combine those items into their unique style.

One can record and duplicate the great players note for note, to no avail, because the next time you hear them play the tune it will be in their style, but not note for note repetition.

All music uses the same notes. But the order in which they are used is an individual's gift.

In theory if you use another's song for profit, you owe them royalties, to not pay and credit them is plagiarism. To use another's songs and style for entertainment is simply imitation. This is often called the most sincere form of flattery.

If one could capture the royalties due from every bar room band, for every pop song they sang; the music industry would be even more lucrative. :)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!