Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: C Acadian for Sale

How about sharing with us what "it tells you" that John is selling a used Acadian for more than what John sells a new CAJUN accordion for? Maybe John Doucet isn't into building accordions to make a large profit. I have an ACADIAN I bought used (because I will not spend $2700 on a accordion). I have also played one of John Doucet's boxes. There is NOT a $1000 difference in quality between the two brands.

I agree - there is not $1000 difference

I own two Acadians, and a long time ago I have played two of John's Cajun accordions that belonged to a friend.

There may differences, but not $1000 worth.

Acadian has greater name recognition, and the demand (and price) are higher as a result of that.

I have all the accordions in all the keys I need right now, including spares if one breaks down. But, I always think it might be nice to have one tuned to low G. G boxes are in increasingly widespread use among the younger Zydeco players. They have a cool mellow sound, but the big reason to have one is that when you play in 2nd position, it is the key of D, which is well suited to the average male baritone voice. In D, it is easier to sing in a relaxed and bluesy or soulful way for the average male.

Anyways, if I do get around to doing that one day, I am strongly considering getting one from John Doucet. I would have no hesitation about it.

Re: I agree - there is not $1000 difference

Hey David.. you ever play in Eb ? I had a low G box once and found it awesome.. but hard to manage air sometimes.. a bit like A box.

Hope you are well ! Glen

Hi Glen,

I play several songs in Eb - but it's mainly on my triple row. My two favorites in Eb are Motor Dude and Lucille.

On my Bb Master, I play a some songs in Eb as well. The most notable is (of course) Why You Wanna Make Me Cry. One of the best zydeco songs of all time.

As I have said, I don't have a G box (yet), but I may work in the A box as a substitute for G for now. It's weird though. I have brought the A box to gigs a few times with plans to use it instead of the Bb and C box for some songs. But I don't seem to get around to actually using it. In all the hustle and bustle of a live gig, the idea gets lost in the shuffle some how. You know, it's just one more thing to hook up, etc., which can get tiresome at times.

Hi David
Thought I remember you saying you bought a castangnari in G?

Yes, I did. It is a very fine accordion. But, I am not sure it works as a Cajun accordion. The form factor is significantly different in several ways. I am sure that over time, one would get used to it and adjust. But I have not had the time for that yet, and in the end, it might not work out. It's just enough different that it throws you off.

Aside from the form factor differences, an additional complication with this particular accordion is that the original owner ordered it with a VERY wet tuning. Much wetter than I can abide by for the long term. Eventually, I will get it retuned and I am sure I will become more fond of it at that point.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!