Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greezy On Facebook?

Hey there Glenn or Don. I don't facebook either. That facebook worries me, and I don't like to post stuff about myself that mean nothing like most people seem to do on facebook. I don't like the camera or any videos taken of me. I'm an ok looking fello, but for some reason I don't take a good picture. LOL. I never got on facebook and probably never will, and I sure as hell won't be doing any selfies of myself anytime soon. Remember?>> I reject modern society pretty much, but I do surf the internet and drive a vehicle. Haven't gone back to the horse and buggy just yet.
I will be here on the bravenet often enough, and as you can see, I'm pretty outspoken almost to the point of being a TROLL like Jim Petijon called me. I am Cajun, and I live right in the heart of Cajun country. I eat, sleep, and $h%$ Cajun music, but I am a recluse socially. Imagine that, an accordion player that doesn't want to be seen playing accordion. Not like some of these yo yo's putting themselves on Yew Toob playing every song they know whether they play good or not. I play accordion, sing, fiddle, guitar, triangle, and I play my feet beat for beat.

I know there's a few accordion players out there that would like to get deeper into the answers to the questions. I am one of them. I've wanted to chronicle the stages of a beginner Cajun accordion player all the way to mastering the accordion, and this Bravenet is a dam good place to do it. I used to be a beginner accordion player too, and it did get frustrating for me over the years. No one or not many to confide in that understood or was still alive (the ole timers). I came across a lot of misinformation from builders, mediocre accordion players and even ole timer master accordion players a lot on my journey and that made me sinister and non trusting and often very angry because as we all know, being an accordion man these days don't come cheap. I can't afford to experiment or guess with my level of income(low). I wanted answers and sure guidance back then and I just wasn't getting it from my Cajun circle of musicians, builders, and other contacts, and that's because no one really understood it nor how to tell it straight. Even Marc Savoy couldn't or wouldn't satisfy my thirst for knowledge. And when that happen, I knew I had to go at it alone and see for myself. Unlike some, I am willing and able to share what I am finding out, even if it ruffles feathers and causes controversy.
Maybe one day, when I am ready, I may have someone close to me video me playing a song or two on accordion and post it here to show how I think Cajun music should be performed and what it should look like. One things for sure, I won't be staring blankly into the camera with no life in my eyes or in my body like many do, I'm going to feel good and feel like playing when I do it, the video wont be just of the accordion nor just of me from the neck down, and it will be when I fully master the song, the singing, and the overall presentation....and no, you won't be able to learn my style by slowing down the video and studying my fingers lick for lick. I'll never let the video get that close in to my fingers. My playing style cannot be copied or even taught accurately anyways. I want people, that are interested and able, to earn that style through the school of hard knocks and dedication down to the soul level just like I did and some of the ole timers did it. They didn't have videos back then and it took them a long time to learn right. They could either buy the album and wear the needle right through it learning, or go and see the Masters in person, which probably didn't bare immediate fruit. But just to see or hear an odd lick played by a Master on the accordion is good enough. Those kinds of attention getting licks stay in your head for life! All you have to do is take it out your head and put it to the accordion and make it shine like the Master did it. That's the hard part.

Greedy,

Appreciate your response and understand your reservations about the internet.
BTW, Glenn is my first name, but I go by my middle name.

Don

ok, Got it, You like Don. Greezy is good enough for me at this time. I'll forego being called Greedy though, thank you very much.

Oh my! Sorry about that Greezy. Predictive type on my phone and I didn't catch it. LOL

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!