Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cherokee Waltz - first version post-war?

I am thinking Ambrose Thibodeaux's version from the yellow lp, his second, sounds like it is older than the Belton Richard version. Sung by Gervais Quebedeaux. I think that lp came out around 1965.

This song sure sounds like it might be from Sidney Brown's repertoire, to me. I don't have a list of Sidney Brown singles to check.

Ah, I didn't think Ambrose' was that early. Lyle tends to think the Ronald Fruge version was in 1974ish.

Thanks

WF

Well, Barry Ancelet thinks that yellow album of Ambrose Thibodeaux came out in the late 1960s.

See his article in Ryan Brasseaux, Kevin Fontenot. 2006. Accordions, Fiddles, Two Steps, and Swing, p. 218.

When were Shirley Bergeron's version and Ronald Frugé's version recorded?

The Shirley Bergeron lp Cajun Style Music (black and white) came out in 1970, per All Music Guide. That's an old timey sound!

On Cajun Fais Do-Do, from arhoolie, Adam and Cyp recorded "la Cherokee", but I think it was recorded around 65. I would think the 1st post-war version would've been earlier than that though.

Jordy

Well it has to be after 1957. I believe everything before has been accounted for. Possible field recordings between 57 and 65??

WF

The one from Arhoolie was a field recording that Chris Strachwitz did. I guess it sounds right, I've just never thought about when the recordings were done.

This may not be too helpful, but I did find some interesting information about Cherokee Waltz,

First, there is a version of Cherokee waltz on the ACE label CDCHD 353. The CD is a Shirley Bergeron compilation. This version was recorded at Marc Savoy's Music Store in Eunice in late 1969. It was originally released on Lanor 569 (I think it was a 45) and later released on Lanor LP 1001. Shirley Bergeron, Alphee Bergeron, Noah Bourque and Marc Savoy play.

Second, there is an interesting version On An LP titled "La La Louisiana Black French Music," The label is Maison De Soul. The artists are Eraste and Bebe Carrier. The LP was released in 1977. This version was recorded by Nick Spitzer in 1976.

Third, on Folkways FA 2620, titled "Cajun Home Music," there is a version of Cherokee Waltz by Cyprien Landreneau and Delia Landreneau. It was recorded by Gerard Dole on September 4th 1975 in Mamou. Unfortunately, I do not have the descriptive notes that came with the LP.

Jack Bond

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!