Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Low A or High A

I have an A, and it is low for sure. I also have the Castignari which is low G. I have never heard of a high A or G. I guess it would be possible to build one, but my expectation is that they are very rarely made.

Are you saying that you can't tell if the Regal and the Martin are in different octaves? Or is it that they are in the same octave, but you don't know whether they are both high or both low?

It should be easy enough to tell. Play them both side by side - if one is high and one is low, that will be an enormous difference. To make it easier, turn off all the reed banks except for one. It might be easiest to tell with one of the middle reeds, but maybe the bass reed? Not sure. In any case, removing some of the variables will simplify the equation. Play the same button on each. If they are not the same, it should be blazingly obvious.

If they are both the same, and the remaining question is whether they are both low or high, compare one of them to a Bb or C accordion. Turn off all reed banks but one, and play a button on each. They won't be the same note, perhaps A on the A box and C on the C box, but it should be easy enough to tell if the A is higher or lower than the C. If the A is higher, that will again be an enormous difference and you should be able to hear it.

In the end, I would be very surprised if either the Regal of the Martin are high A. That seems very, very unlikely to me.

So in that case, what is the explanation for the difference you are hearing? I have played both Regals and Martins, and to my ear, the Martins are so vastly superior in all respects that there really is no comparison. It starts with the reeds of course. The Martin will almost certainly have #1 hand made reeds, and the Regal will have el-cheapo reeds. That alone will make an enormous difference. The construction is likely to be very different as well. The Martin will have two of the reed banks flat against the face plate. I don't remember what the Regal does, but it seems like nearly all European melodeons have the all reed blocks standing up. That tends to make them sound less powerful.

Sorry, but I have a low opinion of the Regals. The ones I played didn't sound that great, and their construction seemed a bit flimsy to me. They are much better than the Chinese melodeons (e.g., Arriette), but that is not saying much.

I only just got the Martin A today, so I should be able to compare. But, just wondering what the definitions for "high A" or "low A".

Like, if the box is tuned 1.5 steps lower than my normal C box, what is that called? Is that high A, low A, middle A?

I have a low opinion of Regals myself. However, I could afford it as a second box at the time, as I was testing out something to ease my vocals, as I started sounding like an injured otter trying to hit some of the high notes.

The Regal has served me well, and can overcome a little of the differences with a handmade box by some tweaking of the highs/lows/mids on a sound board. But only a little.

I guess I need to know the terminology with which to order a set of reeds if I go that route.

Thanks for the input.

Dwight

I get it with the Regal. I got a less fancy 2nd triple row for the same reasons. My first Cajun style accordion was the HA-114 Black C (Cajun tuned). That was what I could afford at the time.

If it is 3 half steps below your C box, well, it's not high. Let's put it like that. Normal, maybe? In any case, not high.

Yeah, just trying to figure out the proper terminology before possibly ordering reeds "sight unheard".

Looks like I might be able to borrow someone's A box instead, so, all might be moot at this point.

thank y'all for chiming in.

In ordering reeds, you wouldn't ask for low or high, you would need to notate the note number itself of each reed. But with a company like Binci that has been supplying reeds for Cajun boxes for so long, ordering a Cajun set (10/4/2) would get you a set A reeds that are lower than your C box. If ordering from someone other than Binci, chances are they would have no clue what "cajun set" is and you'd have to notate each reed to avoid misunderstandings.

Just out of interest, is it possible to order a single set of reeds from binci?
Was under the impression they only catered for builders buying a number of sets.
If so what do they cost and where do you get em?

I haven't ordered from them, but they do have a minimum, think it may be 10. Only company I know of that will sell one set of reeds is Harmonikas in Czech republic, haven't tried their hand mades yet. Junior Martin(actually Penny) sells them for a mere $400 a set, and I think Jesse Brown (Choupique Accordions) will sell some cheaper.

Thanks Bryan.

By the way, I wasn't clear, but the reeds Jesse and Martin sell are Binci.

I don't think you can get reeds in high A, the highest I've heard of is F. I'm guessing what you are referring to relates to lower quality reeds and construction. I'm assuming the Regal's reed blocks are all standing, which loses some sound in itself, but I would think that would be more noticeable in the lower keys.

Reed blocks all standing. I considered gluing them down, but you said it would probably need to be retuned then, and I just didn't want to sink more money into the box.

Regals are just OK..

I have owned a few..

My observation is that the C and D boxes sound the best.

A boxes can sound murky.

Reed quality and the block construction are the two main factors here followed by tuning.

A very famous Quebec accordeoniste.. Alfred Montmarquette, born Montreal 1970.. died 1944..

Was a highly skilled, self taught one row player. It is my understanding he played exclusively on "A" boxes.

I have Smithsonian Folkways Records 00111 cassette tape of Montmarquette.. fantastic stuff.

I also have a CD by one of my favorite Quebec players, Gaston Nolet.. who put this out a couple years back.. all one row in A dedicted to Montmarquette. Several other excellent Quebec musicians are also on this recording.

I have posted a link to Montmarquette on youtube.

I have two Hohners in A... HA112, HA113

I would like a box in A specifically for Montmarquette style. Thou8gh could be played on other keyed boxes.

I believe Montmarquettes boxes were three reed.. I'll get some details and post them later.

Alfred Montmarquette... Born 1870, Died 1944....

One other note on Montmarquette's "A" accordion.

His was a three reed MMH no low reed.

Gaston Nolet played a Quebec made MELODIE "A" on his Montmarquette tribute CD,
it was also MMH no low reed.
Of course it would be possible to play the music on an LMMH in "A" and a vast improvement in getting rid of the muddiness by closing the L stop.

Modern Quebec accordeonistes play Montmarquette tunes on D boxes..often with all four of the LMMH reeds.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!