Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Top Cajun Music Albums

For discographies roughly before America World War II you can use Tony Russell, Country Music Records: A Discography, 1921-1942. Oxford University Press.

The Oscar "Slim" Doucet information is on p. 324.

Slim Doucet with Chester Hawkins on guitar, March 20, 1929 in Atlanta Georgia for Okeh.
Chere Yeux Noir, Waxia Special

Oscar Doucet, Alius Soileau on fiddle, November 7, 1929 in New Orleans Louisiana for Bluebird and Victor
When I Met You at the Gate
Oh Baby
Bayou Courtableau
Slim's Blues

Delin Guillory info on p. 385. One of the most interesting of the early accordion players. Talk about hot! Four songs recorded for Victor Bluebird same day as Doucet and Soileau in New Orleans. Earliest version of Bosco Stomp named Quelqun est Jaloux

"Top Albums" is to me a very artificial way to discuss this at all. People didn't even record albums in the early days. They recorded singles. 78s and 45s. It's only in compilations that you get Iry LeJeune, Amede Ardoin albums, and more of the greats.

Haven't seem Mitch Reed's list in a while but if I remember right I would include Austin Pitre somewhere, either the stuff with Melton Molitor or his Swallow recordings. Not very fiddle oriented, so that's maybe why Mitch didn't include him.

Re: Top Cajun Music Albums

At last I had the time to look at the Mitch top ten.
Luckily I have them all so I'm feeling like an expert
I think Mitch is right about the musicians in his top ten who are all very important for Cajun/Creole music.
But I really can't make a top ten, because after number ten I think that I forget another ten and again and again
I miss special one CD of Robert Leblanc with also Mitch on it and Al Berard and Lisa Trahan. It's a recent CD, but it's such a timeless one
Ray Abshire , Ambrose Thibodeaux, Octa Clark with Hector Duhon are also dearly missed in the list

Every end of the year they broadcast a TOP2000 with rock/pop - music and every year I disagree with most of the 2000 songs and year after year it's Queen and Freddy Mercury is shouting for his Mamma and a few sentences later he sings "nothing really matters"

Top Early Cajun Music Compilations

Instead of venturing into the subjective arena of "best Cajun music" of all time, I'd like to steer the topic into the direction of what I consider the most essential CD compilations out there, covering as much of the early Cajun music as possible. CDs that I personally believe should be in the libraries of any Cajun music enthusiast. Even recently (last 10 years), there have been some ground-breaking releases on the old material that I believe everyone should have access to, for reference, if anything. Even though LPs are still out there, I'll stick to CDs for now. And I'll stick to early Cajun (pre-1960)

NOTE: some of the material is issued by EU labels, mainly because their laws on licensing old recordings is very open.

1 - The Complete Early Recordings Of Dennis McGee (Yazoo, 1994)
While Dennis can be found in a variety of other compilations, I chose this one since it covers the vast material he did with Courville and Fruge in one collection. It however does not contain the material with Ardoin or Lejeune.

2 - Cajun Vol. 1 Abbeville Breakdown 1929-1939 (Columbia 1991)
Traditional and String Band eras. While it's missing much of the Falcon material, it's covers plenty of the Breaux material as well as the Guidry family that recorded a decade later called the Alley Boys of Abbeville.

3 - Cajun Early Recordings (JSP, 2004)
Traditional and String Band eras. This 4CD set will really kick-off your Cajun music library. It covers plenty of early Falcon, Breaux, McGee Ardoin, Soileau, even Walker! The last CD is purely Hackberry Ramblers in all their glory.

4 - CAJUN-Rare & Authentic (JSP 2008)
Traditional and String Band eras. Similar to JSP's early 2004 release, this one is just as essential. Materials you can't find in the first one, can be found here, including other McGee, Breaux, Falcon, and Ardoin materials, but also Segura, Dixie Ramblers, Jolly Boys, and several of Werner sessions, with some Hackberry Ramblers and Alley Boys as well.

5 - Early American Cajun Music (Yazoo, 1999)
Traditional era. This covers the obscure recordings from north of Cajun country, by John Bertrand, Blind Uncle Gaspard and Delma Lachney. Distinctly different than the French which was being recorded at the time, this CD contains the most material from this group.

6 - Let Me Play This For You: Rare Cajun Recordings (Tompkins Square, 2013)
Traditional era. This is really the only release to cover the material from Angelas Lejeune and the duo Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry in full glory. This contains the issues of Dennis with Angelas as well that the Yazoo is missing. Until 2013, most of this wasn't available to anyone. Mastered by my good friend Chris King.

7 - Mama, I'll Be Long Gone : The Complete Recordings Of Amede Ardoin (Tompkins Square, 2011)
Traditional era. There are 2 major CD releases of Amede Ardoin, this being the latest. This completes the Dennis collection by containing the ones with Ardoin and Dennis too. I recommend this one over the 1995 Arhoolie one done for 2 reasons. First, this is a 2 CD set finally containing everything Ardoin did and second, it was remastered by Chris King with modern noise reduction equipment (although purists may disagree if this is a positive thing or not). Sadly, unlike the Arhoolie release, it does not contain his lyrics. :(

8 - Cajun Country Volume 2: More Hits From The Swamp (JSP, 2005)
Traditional era and string band. This does contain quite a bit of some material from the CDs above, but has enough rare stuff to complete your collection that I still recommend it if you have the room in the library. While it has some Ardoin, Falcon, Lejeune, Werner and Alley Baoys, what makes it shine is it's include of the Credeur stuff, Soileau Couzens, Arteleus Mistric, Columbus Fruge, Segura Brothers, Fawvor Brothers, Slim Doucet, Joe's Acadians, Delin T, tons of Fuselier's Merrymakers, very early Nathan Abshire, and tons of early Happy Fats. Def needed in the library.

9 - Cajun String Bands: The 1930s: "Cajun Breakdown" (Ahhoolie 1997)
String band era. A good mix of Fuselier, Soileau and Hackberry on one CD. Several tunes not found in other places. Adding a few tunes by Clifford Breaux and Dixe Ramblers.

10 - The Early Recordings Of Leo Soileau (Early American Cajun Music) (Yazoo 1999)
Traditional era. The only CD to cover Leo Soileau's early accordion-led recordings before he switched over to string band music in the 30s. Features all of the Mayuse Lafleur material as well as alot of Moise Robin materials. An essential one!

11 - French Blues (Arhoolie, 1993)
Dancehall era. The only CD really needed of Nathan Abshire during this period. Contains almost all the material from his Khoury/OT years, when he was laying down his most recognized tunes. The original Kaplan Waltz, Bayou Teche, and original versions of Pine Grove Blues. This goes well with the next CD.....

12 - Master Of The Cajun Accordion - The Classic Swallow Recordings (Ace 2014)
'Renaissance"/revival era. Contains Nathan in the years after Khoury/OT when he resurrected his career with Swallow. If only we can get Nathan's 'Kajun' recordings on compilation. hmmmm

13 - Cajun Honky Tonk: Khoury Recordings (Arhoolie 1995)
14 - Cajun Honky Tonk: The Khoury Recordings Vol. 2 (Arhoolie 2013)
Dancehall era. This contains much of the remaining recordings from the Khoury/OT years outside of Nathan's stuff. It's released on 2 CDs by my good friend Lyle Ferb. Rare post war material from Lawrence Walker, early Dewey Balfa, Crawford Vincent, Shuk Richard, Floyd Leblanc, Blackie Fruge, Amar Devillier, and other obscure Nathan materials by some of his other band members. Def needed in library.

15 - Cajun's Greatest: The Definitive Collection (Ace 2004)
Dancehall era. The only real Iry Lejeune compilation I can recommend. If you know anything about the other compilations before this one, then you should know this is the first one to contain actual unmodified recordings of Iry from the original 78 records. All early Goldband LPs and tapes were modified, annoying most trying to hear Iry in his raw form. This contains all the Opera/Goldband releases.

16 - Devil In The Bayou - The Gold Star Recordings (Bear 2002)
Dancehall era. I have to recommend this as the only real mostly complete Harry Choates disc. It contains the critically important historical recording of the 1946 Goldstar 'Jole Blon', which Arhoolie failed to license for their CD in 1993. But even more important is the liner notes that expert Choates researcher Andrew Brown put together for the 2CD set. It contains ALL of the Goldstar sessions, the Cajun Classic session, and the Macy's sessions. Sadly, it doesn't contain the Hummingbird releases or the Allied sesssions. You'll have to get the 1990 Krazy Kat CD compilation for those few remaining songs.

17 - Essential Collection of Lawrence Walker (Swallow)
Dancehall era. Mixed feelings on this. While it doesn't fully complete all of Walker's career, it has alot of his Khoury years and his Swallow years combined. Not a bad CD to have, just not as essential in my opinion.

18 - Acadian All Star Special - The Pioneering Cajun Recordings Of J.D. Miller (Bear 2011)
Dancehall era. One of the great CD compilations to have come out recently. 3CD set comes with plenty of library song information, as well as tons of songs completing all of the Feature/Fais-Do-Do label. Contains the earliest materials of Aldus, Shorty Leblanc, Happy with Doc Guidry, Lee Sonnier, early Austin Pitre, early Chuck Guillory with Papa Cairo and Jimmy Newman, Chester Peewee Broussard, hard to find stuff by Amede Breaux, Cleveland Mire, Lionel Cormier, early Robert Bertrand and more. Def needed in your library, not matter the high cost.

19 - Floyd's Early Cajun Singles (Ace 1999)
While Swallow began officially in 57, it wouldn't really take off until 1959, pressing a slew of recordings on the new 45 RPM medium. There's no complete compilation with the entire label, since they produced hundreds of recordings for decades!...mostly in the modern era. However, this CD does capture the earliest years between 57 and 60, with Joel Sonnier as a kid, Austin Pitre, Sidney Brown, Adam Hebert, Lawrence Walker, and Aldus Roger. This would re-kick off the careers into the 1960s of these musicians who left their previous contracts with Goldband and Feature records.

The following are honorable mentions, but I wouldn't include them in the essentials category. If you have extra $ around, then maybe pick them up to help complete your library....

20 - EDDIE SHULER & His All Star Revellers – Grand Mamou (BACM 2016)
21 - HAPPY FATS & His Rayne-Bo Ramblers (BACM, 2009)
22 - JOE WERNER Early Cajun Artist (BACM, 2016)
These are respectible recordings, clearly important which many have never been released before, ... usually for good reason. They weren't stellar country recordings, but the CDs do contain the few Cajun recordings they released in their country music careers. While most of Happy's French singing can be found in the other compilations mentioned above, this does contains some never heard materials. The Eddie Shuler also has a few Cajun recordings he did, although it's missing his earliest one of Jolie Bonde for some reason. The Werner one will be mostly his country/string-band material. It's quite possible BACM does a Leo Soileau one next, but again, focusing mostly on his obscure string-band releases, usually sung in English.

23 - Swingbillies - Hillbilly & Western Swing On Modern/Colonial/Flair 1947-52 (Ace 2003)
Not quite an essential, but it does contain the hard to find Chuck Guillory and Papa Cairo recordings done on Modern/Colonial label in the 1950s. Not enough to make it a necessity.

24 - Raise Your Window: A Cajun Music Anthology 1928 - 1941
25 - Le Gran Mamou: A Cajun Music Anthology - The Historic Victor–Bluebird Sessions 1928–1941
These were released on LP years ago, but then were remastered on CD in 1990 and 1993. Still a good compiliation, however, almost everything can be found in the compilations I've listed above.

----------
With everything above, you have 99% of all early Cajun music at your fingertips.

Floyd Leblanc is the only early Cajun artist from the dancehall/swing era, I'd recommend for listeners, that you can't get a mostly complete compilation of, yet! I'd like to see that come out next. He worked directly with Iry for a bit and landed quite selection of songs over the years, yet sadly gets looked over. His Opera/OT material is sparsely issued.

Sidney Brown is another. Would like to see a full set of his music out, not just the limited releases on the LP.

One of the last major compilation which has been needed for some time is a mostly complete Falcon/Breaux compilation, which really hasn't been undertaken until recently. Latest news is that 2017 is the year. I'll keep people updated.

There are recordings that exist which were poorly done during the early period that most likely will not see the light of day...mainly due to how bad the quality of the originals were. I'm talking about the 1949 DeLuxe sessions with Happy, Hackberry and the Billiots. Also, the poor sound quality of the Tanner pressings on Hot Rod and TNT. I've heard them already and while they would make a good discussion topic in a research paper, these would never sell well on CD if someone tried. Don't count on them to be released on CD anytime soon.

Of course, if you want other good CD compilations of later Cajun music (post 1960), all of the Swallow Cajun Pioneer Series CDs are good for libraries too. Plenty of later Cajun compilations could be listed here, which I haven't done.

--------------
Now, let's say you want to purchase something for someone, and you want them to experience the most influential tunes from the traditional era, string band era, dance-hall era, Cajun-country era, "renessaince" era, and a bit of swamp pop, ..... and you want to find it all compiled in one purchase, then I'd suggest getting Disky's "As Good as It Gets: Cajun" if you can find it. It's on a Netherlands label. Another one thats not as good, but honorable, would be "Cajun Capers: Cajun Music 1928-1954" (Proper Box, 2005).

Alright Neal, get in here and chime in. I know you want to

WF

Re: Top Early Cajun Music Compilations

Good point, I'm more interested in compilations. But in covering the genre, I don't think you can leave out the Balfa's recordings, because they brought out a lot of songs not covered in others repertoires.

To really finish off the compass points of the fiddle songs of south La, I also think you'd have to include the recordings of Varise Connor, Edius Nacquin, and the Deshotels twins. I personally don't care for the string band/Texas swing influenced stuff

I left out the Balfas, not because it's um-important, but not nearly as early as what's shown. Still, good material for a library of compilations, like much of the 60s and 70s had to offer. Plenty of original work during those later years, but there were some lines drawn. Even so, Dewey was on Nathan's and Elise's recordings in the 50s, which I do include. For example, I didn't include the Lomax or Oster field recordings. One could state these are just as critical. Connor, Naquin, Deshotel and a slew of recordings after 1960 are important as well, just done much later. I, personally, don't consider that 'early Cajun'.

Also want to clarify the Lawrence CD, it's important for it's Swallow stuff. The Khoury stuff sounds better on the Cajun Honky Tonk CD.

Of course, i understand. Other people will have their own lists, based on their preferencest too. Would love to see them.

WF

I guess I'm basing where I put the Balfa's music more on how old I think their music is, as opposed to when it was recorded. Thinking more historical ties.

Where did my post go? I made a long reply! It's gone. I will try again.

I concur with Wade's list and Bryan's suggestions. Here's a few more:

Louisiana Cajun and Creole Music: The Newport Field Recordings
https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Cajun-Creole-Music-Recordings/dp/B003YOMNBS
See my long review of it on Amazon.

Prior to that, LSU professor Harry Oster recorded Austin Pitre and Melton Molitor in the late 1950s, leased it to Prestige International Records, then to Arhoolie. The original lp is long out of print but we can thank Jack Bond for finding it on eBay and letting me digitize it. The whole thing is on my website at http://npmusic.org/artists.html#pitremolitor
Without this recording, Cajun Folk Music, the Newport Festival may have never invited Cajun musicians to perform.

All Austin Pitre's Swallow output is essential to me. I recommend this compilation, which has more than Floyd's Early Cajun Singles.
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Recordings-Austin-Evangeline-Playboys/dp/B00JG52X96
See my Amazon review here too.

Between his time with Khoury and Swallow Nathan Abshire did a series of fine recordings for J.D. Miller. Out of print, there was a cd on Flyright that has this lp input plus additions: https://www.discogs.com/Nathan-Abshire-And-Pinegrove-Boys-The-Nathan-Abshire-And-The-Pinegrove-Boys/release/3417697

You have to have Popcorn Blues, French Two Step, Dreamer's Waltz, and his Mardi Gras Song with the pounding of horse hooves. Classic! And since it's J.D. Miller the sound quality is Nathan's best.

I can't remember if Mitch included Ambrose Thibodeaux, but all his lps are essential to me. My favorite is probably the yellow one, More Authentic Acadian French Music, for his versions of Poor Hobo, Lacassine Special, Long Point Two Step, Two Step de Musicien, La Louisianne Two Step, War Widow Waltz.

His vocals might not be your cup of tea but essential for me is Adam Hebert. Swallow compilation here: https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Hebert-Cajun-Music-Collection/dp/B00IH9BPSM
See my Amazon review

We owe a debt of thanks to Tina Pilione for releasing 2 cds of Maurice Barzas and the Mamou Playboys live at Snook's Lounge in Ville Platte. The tapes may have been made as late as the 80s but I guarantee you they're playing just as they did in the 50s and 60s. Barzas was very solid!

There are probably some others worth mentioning, like Alphee and Shirley Bergeron, Allie Young, Moise Robin, but hard to find.

You can hear the excitement of the groups being appreciated in this compilation:
https://www.amazon.fr/Haricots-Sales-enregistrements-Musique-Creole/dp/B00000B8OZ/ref=sr_1_2/254-0139983-0613633?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1481831498&sr=1-2&keywords=Les+haricots+sont+pas+sal%C3%A9s

I know I am leaving out some things. Maybe I will come back and update.

ETA: First update! Get Joe Bonsall!
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Collection-Bonsall-Orange-Playboys/dp/B00IT5H92A

Good stuff. I left out the field recordings of Lomax and Oster. Good for a libary. I left out the Swallow sessions since that covers 60s and 70s. Of course, throughout that later time period, old masters that grew up during the early years, that never got a chance to record, such as Ambrose Thibodeaux and Varise Connor got their chance much later in life and are featured on later compilations. Good materials there.

To clarify, the Lawrence on Swallow is important mainly for the later Swallow recordings. His Khoury stuff sounds better on the Cajun Honky Tonk CDs.

Also, another I forgot to add to the list is:

26 - Cajun Dance Party: Fais Do-Do (Legacy/Columbia, 1994)
This contains alot of what was listed above, but has a few missing Breaux and Falcon materials to round off your collection including some Ardoin and Segura. Probably the best compilation of early Cajun at the time in 1994.

Neal can def talk about the later period compilations better than I can.

WF

"To clarify, the Lawrence on Swallow is important mainly for the later Swallow recordings. His Khoury stuff sounds better on the Cajun Honky Tonk CDs."

I agree. Cajun Honky Tonk 1 and 2 on Arhoolie have the better sounding Lawrence Walker Khoury sides. I think the La Louisianne lp has the best sounding version of Unlucky Waltz on La Louisianne LL-126, A Tribute to the Late, Great Lawrence Walker.

For accordion-minded fans, there's another good Arhoolie compilation, Pioneers of Cajun Accordion 1929-1936, subtitled Louisiana Cajun Music Vol. 9. Has Joe Falcon, Amede Ardoin, Breaux Brothers, Angelas LeJeune, Lawrence Walker, Nathan Abshire with the Happy Fats band, Delin Guillory, Bixy Guidry. OT 128

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!