Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Gift of Gifts

Come on Guidry! With a last name like that you don't need no lesson. Just listen to the song and you'll get it. You'll get a better version of it than if you were to be taught in lesson. You'll get your very own original Cajun version of "Dying in Misery". You can't beat that with a stick brother.

Dying in Misery by Nathan Abshire and the Balfas is real soulful tune. Austin Pitre recorded a similar song[same melody] named the Rainbow Waltz I believe it was named for the Rainbow Club, Maybe someone can tellus where it was located. Amede Breaux record the same melody and called it the Homesick Waltz or something like that, That melody has been around for a while.

My understanding was that the Rainbow Club was in Bristol. Mr. Hanks would know. I deeply regret never having seen Austin Pitre perform, or talking with him. I hold him in high high esteem.

Rainbow Club

Robert the Rainbow Club was south of Vinton on the old Orange Hwy. My mother was a waitress my dad tended bar back in the 50's. We lived right behind it, i started the first grade when we lived there.

Re: Rainbow Club

Jerry, are you sure that's the one where Austin Pitre played a regular gig for years? I rather doubt it. To promote a Lake Charles area club wouldn't he have recorded for Goldband, not Swallow? (These tunes named after dancehalls and clubs were for promotional purposes. Tee Maurice, Belisaire, Jungle Club, Teche Special, Jolly Roger, etc.)

Ray Abshire told me it was in Bristol, I am pretty sure. or Lewisburg. There were probably more than one Rainbow Clubs in those days. It's not like they trademarked those names and owned them exclusively.

Didn't say that, the question was asked where was the Rainbow Club and the only one I knew of was the one on the Old Orange Hwy. That area in southwest Louisiana was a hot spot for Cajun Music before I-10 came through. There were many clubs in a small area. Big Oaks, Palomino, Rainbow and others. I don't know if Austin played there.

Wade and I were trying to find out where Belizaire was. I can't find anyone that knows. Do you?

Jerry, I heard from I believe Lionel Leleux that Belizaires Dancehall was in Cossinade or Leleux, between Kaplan and Crowley I Vermilion Parish. Nathan played there often. It was run by Belizaire Herpin.

Thanks Robert Wade and I were looking for information on Belizaire, so this is a start Happy New Year

Robert would you send me an email at cankton49@gmail.com

Thanks

Thanks Robert! Mystery solved.

WF

I suppose I should have written "a" Rainbow Club, instead of "the" Rainbow Club.

Maybe it was the Chinball Club in Bristol

I might have my clubs mixed up! It might have been the Chinaball Club in Bristol. Austin Pitre also did a song with that title.

Wunderfull song and I found it on The Good times are killing me.
@Guidry & Greezy: maybe I could get some lessons for this song because my last name fits better
In link#2 I found the song with Courtney Granger, Ryan Burnett and Blake Miller.
The links from Greezy doesn't work unfortunately

So good that Robert mentioned Mr Freddy Hanks. I had the honour to met him a few times in 2010 and 2011. Very nice man and I will bever forget the first time I met him at the Begnaud house during a Jam on a Friday. It wasn't very busy that evening. Mr Hanks, Terry Montoucet, Zachary Fuselier(13 years old and playing fiddle for 3 months) and Jacob Leblanc(tit fer, but play accordion too but not that evening). When we arrive there wasn't anybody who played accordion, so I was the only one that night.
The first song we played together was Madeleine and Mr. Freddy Hanks bowed his head to Terry to say "it's allright" and he told me after the song.
Never had a bigger compliment than that

Mah Mon Meloderon. I took off the "s" in the https and even checked to make sure that the link would take me to the you tube video. It worked for me. Oh, no, you got to listen to Nathan and the Balfa Brothers do it. That's the whole point of me posting for this song. It's sung pretty clear and the playing is simple. I did see the Courtney Granger version too, but it didn't have the nostalgia I guess. So then, I shall post the little computer icon link again, and on yew toob, you can type in "Dying In Misery" Nathan Abshire to find it. or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0BmxOGjtI is the link to copy and pace.
Got dam, I just listened to it again at 7:30 in the morning and I want to get drunk. Ha Haaa.
Thanks for the transcription Bryan. I will copy it, sit down with my translator and post the English with it later. Might take me a little while.
By the way, for anyone wondering, this version by Nathan Abshire is done on a "D" accordion 1st position (on the push) in the key of "D". But you should all know that by now right?!

I've always liked that one. here is what I hear for lyrics, corrections/disagreements welcomed. Question mark in parentheses is where I'm not sure.

Oh, catin, garde-donc ça t'apres faire,
faire avec ton neg', tit monde moi, j'prende ça dur.
Oh, ye yaille, chere oublie donc pas(?),
les promesses que tu m'as fait,
catin, t'apres m'quitter

Oh, catin, tu m'en donnerais(?) toute ta famille,
chere, pour t'en aller, tit monde, aussi loin d'moi.
oh, ye yaille, c'est ça que m'faire du(?) mal
garde 'oir mes cheres enfants apres pleurer pour leur maman

Bryan, I think the start of the second verse is "Oh catin t'ambandonerais toute ta famille etc. I play music with Mr. Freddie quite often and I will ask him if I can remember about the Rainbow Club. That's 83 years of Cajun music. He started when he was 17. He played with all the greats, like Lawrence Walker, Amede Breaux, Angelas Lejeune, Aldus Roger and many others. He is full of stories and loves to talk in French. A great person.

Ah, yeah, thanks, Robert. I listened to that at least 10 times and it had me stumped, shoulda got that. Hope you are doing well.

Here is the same accordion tune as "Dying in Misery" done by the same guys except sung by Nathan Abshire using different words. This time they called it the "Hayes Waltz". For those of you that don't have a "D" accordion, this might help. I don't have my "C" accordion with me at this moment, but I think this tune is played on a "C" 1st position (on the push) in the key of "C". But I could be wrong without my "C" to play along at this time. You Tube "Hayes' Waltz" Cajun Fais Do-Do or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcg5AuhsUMk.
Not to beat a horse dead, but just in case you needed this.

I just did a very quick tutorial. Ran out of space on my phone. But it's better than nothing for those that want it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! Also-let me know if you want a copy of my new CD. Right now you can only get it thru me.

Link#2 goes to the youtube of Chris with Dying in Misery which we don't want at all I suppose
But it's a great song to play
Wish you all a Happy 2017 without misery

What a mysterious fellow that Chris Miller. Hard to know what his angle is. I'll never forgive him for that You Tube video of him playing Zydeco Son Pas Sale. That had to be the work of the Devil! It made me feel small and inferior.

If idle hands are the Devil's workshop, Chris won't be in league with Old Nick.

For those who aren't familiar with the video, zydeco accordion can be boring when played "a capella." So, Miller simply expanded his role, playing the bass line and the melody simultaneously!

Amazing!

Thank you Chris!!!

Re: The Gift of Gifts Translation

Dying In Misery
"Mourir Dans Les Misere"

Nathan Abshire & The Balfa Brothers

Oh / catin / garde donc ca-t'apres-faire
chere avec ton negre./
Tit monde / moi j'prend ca dur.
Oh / ye yaille / chere oublie donc-pas
les promesses / toi-tu-m'a-fait.
Catin / t'apres m'quitter.

Oh / catin / t'as-abondonne / toute ta famille
chere pour t'en aller /
tit monde / aussi loin d'moi.
Oh / ye yaille / c'est ca / qui-m'fait / tant-d'mal.
Quand j'vois mes chers enfants / a-
pres pleurer / pour leur mama.
O' yaille, please don't forget
the promises you made me.
Dear, you're leaving me.

O' doll, you abandoned all your family
dear, to go,
little world, so far away from me.
O' yaille, that is what's hurting me so much.
When I see my dear children
crying for their mother.

Rainbow Gardens in Ville Platte?

http://louisianadancehalls.com/dance_hall/rainbow-gardens-dancehall/

Pitre was from Ville Platte. I wonder. Probably not. Supposedly the townspeople of Ville Platte called it the Fais Do Do.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!