Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What music?

Mr. Guy...I think there may be a phenomena taking place in the Accordion Discussion Group (Bravenet) that some might call "Becoming Humble and Wise." It stands to reason that many would drift towards these types of traits based on some of the discussion that has taken place within the forum. Discussion that has put sort of a spotlight on the "Show Off's", and or "Supposed Authorities" of Cajun accordion playing and Cajun Music Community in general. We have come to understand that you don't have to be a Big Wheel YouTube sensation to be a good accordion player. We have come to understand that you don't have to be well known to be a good accordion player, nor do you have to have 50 CD's put out, or be a member of a Cajun Band that travels all over the world to be able to have a powerful say in the Cajun Music World or Cajun Accordion Playing World. I believe, that before one presents his or herself, on video or in person, playing accordion, that it should be a genuine and sincere presentation in the interest of all who watch and not just for the interest of self promotion. It should only be done after the player has worked long enough with a song or tune to be able to offer something unique to the song and also to offer "GREATNESS" to the playing method, and lets not forget..to be able to contribute to the happiness and understanding of the one's watching. What I'm trying to say is that not every "Johnny Come Lately" should try to make an accordion video of themselves as quickly as possible in order to show the world what they can do, when in reality, they are only merely novices or beginners to Cajun accordion playing, and really don't bring anything special to the table of this genre as they might think. I am also saying that as fellow accordion players, we should not encourage such narcissistic practices and behavior so as to cause the genre to be watered down to the point that no one wants to drink of it anymore. At the same time, we should not allow accordion players to feel as if they are substandard and incapable of ever living up to the unattainable expectations of a group of people that consider themselves to be purists of the Cajun Music Genre. People are beginning to self judge and take care as to how they present their ideals towards Cajun accordion playing, and that is a good thing, but at the same time, it may not be so good in that they are withdrawing into the closet and not sharing that which they have become aware of out of fear of being proven wrong or being judged. An old unspoken method at some jam sessions was to allow the elder accordion players to take 1st Chair until they saw fit to step down and allow another elder player to come up. Every once in a while, the elders would recognize the talent of a young player and call him to come sit 2nd Chair and either play along or try to lead for some of the songs. How well you did determined if you would be asked to take 1st Chair or even 2nd Chair in the future. Start "Showing Off" and the other musicians attending would have their say and you would be shunned or made to feel uncomfortable to the point of not wanting to play anymore. Ever had a guitar player or fiddle player deliberately play off tune with intentions to make you ,the accordion player, screw up or look bad? Ever had a mediocre guitar, fiddle, or accordion player accidently play off tune and screw up everybody for a few seconds? It is quickly noticed by most everyone, and just as quickly covered up. There are many ways to skin a cat friends. But maybe we should be asking ourselves.. "Why in the fk would we want to be skinning cats, when we don't eat or wear cats in the first place?!" Lastly, I apologize for coming across as some kind mind manipulating authority or an accordion playing genius if I have. It is my wish to humbly serve and attain the best possible outcome for this group. Can anyone make sense of all that I have said, because I have no freakin idea of the point I was trying to make. LOL

Mr. Guy, if you ask the time of day, be prepared for a dissertation on the making of a clock.

LOL

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!