Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: help please

In case you'd like the lyrics to Harrison's version, I did them a while back. The Holiday was a good old dark, smoky, sleazy nightclub on the SW corner of Mamou. I haven't heard Charivari's version, is it the same song?

Allons passer au Holiday, pour faire danser les tite catins
ti devrais la ‘oir après plier, pour passer dessous l’balai.
Si t’attend le dos cracquer, tracasse pas toi ça casseras pas
Ça veut passer dessous l’balai, ça veut passer dessous l’balai

Allons passer au Holiday, allons s'amener chaque un a balai,
on va assayer de se plier pour passer dessous l’balai
si t’attend ton dos cracquer, tracasse pas toi il casseras pas
on va passer dessous l’balai, on va passer dessous l’balai

sorry Bryan, but I'm one of those guys(don't speak French Cajun or otherwise) I don't wish to be a problem but if you can could you translate the lyrics for me? I'm too **** old to start learning it now.however I do understand some of the language as beautiful as it is.

p.s.

the only version I have heard so far is the one from Charivari.

Bryan,I finally figured out how to listen to the link you sent me,different tune.I know it says the Cajun limbo but that is what I know that song by. the tune I was looking for is the Charivari song.thanks much though.

I found the Charivari song, cool fiddle tune that I'd never heard. Definitely different tune, about the same dark, smoke, sleazy honey hole, though.

I may include some information that has already been given, but this song has an interesting history. It was written by Mitch Reed and randy Vidrine and first recorded on the Swallow CD "Le Holiday" in 1998 by the Mamou Prairie Band. At the time, the Mamou Prairie Band was in the process of changing their name to Charivari.

Then in 2005, Charivari had a CD released on the Rounder label titled "A Trip to the Holiday Lounge." Naturally, Le Holiday is also on the Rounder CD. Soon after the release, Charivari had a "CD Release Party" at the Holiday Lounge in Mamou Lounge - a very interesting place!

It turns out that Le Holiday is one of Barry Ancelet's favorite songs. He was at the release Party. Ever since then, whenever Charivari or any of their derivitive bands plays at Festivals Acadiens, Barry makes sure that they play "Le Holiday."

The English lyrics from the Rounder CD are as follows:

Come and meet me we will go to a place called the Holiday.
The boss Tee-Ed is as mean as a mad dog.
The place looks like a circus with all the neon lights.
It's only ten miles from Carriere's Bar.

You can drink a beer or have a whiskey.
Or you can go in the back and see the pretty girls.
It;s not a place to go if you are married.
The place that we call the Holiday.

3rd verse same as first.

There's a lot more, but I've taken enough space. Hope this helps.

Jack Bond

thankyou Jack,it is a great song and for some crazy reason I feel the urge to see if I can put my accordion to it (?). just love the fiddle licks in this tune. thanks for the history lesson too,not only do I get to find the song I was looking for but now I also now have the story of how it got to become a song.not a bad deal I think,kinda like a lagniappe. aahyiii!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!