Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Key of G Accordion

Gabbanelli King on eBay, $749 OBO + $20 shipping.

Go to the website discussion group melodeon.net

go to the buy and sell

I believe there may be a box in G..

Why G.. very low, not often used.

The G tuning brings out a special/different feel that you don't hear with a traditional "C" tuned box. Not to say that the traditional "C and "D" tunings aren't great. The G just brings something different to the table.

Follow this link and listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5XL6yURgGc

As you say, G is one of the lesser used keys. But, if you check it out, it has its place.

In zydeco, it is used much more these days than in the past. Part of what makes it work is that when you play in the "pull" or 2nd position, you are in the key of D. Most males are bass/baritones, and the key of D lends itself to singing in a more relaxed or soulful way than the higher keys.

Exactly.

I've posted this video of Bobby Gardiner a few times..

Hohner in "G"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpTdiz-luHQ

I bought a Gabbi in G thinking it would be good for singing but in the majority of cases the C box wins and I'm no virtuoso singer. The only real joy I've had is being able to sing Bonsoir Moreau, otherwise its a dreary sound and lacks the liveliness of a C, not bad for low down dirty blues though to be fair.
Thinking I'll get C hohner reeds put in as I like the box and I've sold my 114. If SOTM gets resurrected I'll post a tune on G Gabbi as its' my main player at the moment.

I look forward to hearing it!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!