Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last Will and Testement

I'm in the process of updating my will although I'm hoping to be around a little longer yet. I live in the UK and have several accordions, made by well respected Louisiana craftsmen. As I have no kids I thought it my be good to make provision to send them back to Louisiana eventually. My idea is to help young musicians just starting out. Does anyone know the best way to go about this - perhaps the CFMA?

Re: Last Will and Testement

Johnny, what are your intentions? Are you wanting to give those accordions to young musicians for free or for a lower price? I have heard of people that have died who were accordion players. The family sent the accordion back to the accordion builder or the builder of their choice to see if the accordion could be placed in a new home or to be sold with a finders fee included. The proceeds would then go back to the family members and some for the builder to cover retuning or outfitting with new straps etc. I myself am proud to say that my "BEST" accordion found its way to me because of this very same situation. The wife of the old man who previously owned it had died. She brought it back to the builder. Another old timer accordion player played on it at a jam session and bought it which he in turn sold it to me, at the same price he bought it for. Surely you know someone in Louisiana that you could give those accordions to, be it a builder or accordion player. Someone you think would do right by them. As for the CFMA, DONT DO THAT! Trust me on this. They are not all what they pretend to be. It's very good of you to be thinking on doing this! Very respectable.

Greazy, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
I don't really know anyone in Louisiana - I bought my first accordion from Marc and came over to collect it - the others I had shipped over so my only contact was by phone and sadly a couple of the guys aren't around anymore. If not the CFMA what about Baryy Ancelet or even the media - KRVS for example. Moneywise, these would be gifts and therefore free of charge and would be shipped over at no cost to whoever receives them.

I'm sure KRVS would and could do something with them. They would have the most contacts in Cajun Land on a professional and non professional level. They may give them as prizes to the highest contributors during their annual station fund raising event or donate them to the winner of an accordion contest, etc. Barry Ancelet, I don't know him personally, but I know he knows a lot of Cajuns that play accordion that would know beginner accordion players just starting out. I mentioned to send the accordions to the builder because they are usually the first stop for a beginning accordion player. They could be used as loner accordions for customers that are not sure of what they want built by the builder, at no charge of course, if you are willing to "give" them away. I know, send them to Megan Brown. She has a kind heart and seems to be into traditional Cajun music, and may know just the thing to do with them. Who knows, she might even go visit you over there in the UK to pick them up and KRVS could pay for her trip. LOL. Sweet sweet Megan Brown. Maybe some of the other Braves on this website would also have some ideas for your accordions. Always beginners coming on here.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!