Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Song of the Month for February 2017 - Creole Stomp

NICE. I've been thinking about working on this one for a while. I'll get to work and report back soon.

Good call John.
Thought I'd add the Bubba Brown version, a favorite of mine;

Re: Song of the Month for February 2017 - Creole Stomp - my try

Here's my shot at this with my new A-accordion built by Bryan LaFleur.

Tuned 10-cents wet
Done in pecan with ebony corners and stainless furniture.

Playing this thing is quite a bit different than the C or D accordion. It's really breathy and some fingerings just don't work right in the low key.

Love that left hand!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PmU8n0tsYc

John in Oregon

Nice job, John. Nice looking accordion, too!

Great! There's so much to learn with this tune, but there's also a lot of choices to make in each performance. Bubba had 5 different turns or something like that and everyone who plays it plays it a little differently.

When learning anything, it's best to get to the essentials. What do you feel are the essentials of this tune? Sure the melody, but what makes it feel like the tune? What ornamentation can't be missed if you want to sound like an authentic cajun accordionist (or zydeco or creole whatever floats your shrimpin' boat.)

It's going to take me some time to break down and really figure out what's going on in some of the faster videos, but I'm still in and I'll post something this month.

Nice accordion, great job on the build Bryan, that thing sure wails and moans!

Now that SOTM is starting up again, if it's not asking too much, could an experienced player post a video of this song slowed down so that we beginners could try to learn it? I tried playing the YouTube videos with the half-speed function, but the sound gets pretty choppy.

Thank you!

A thing to do is to get the FreeYoutubeDownloader and download it. then you can slow it down whatever you use to play videos.

Or you can save it to MP3 and use the slowdowner.

John in Oregon

Private video is private. You could just post a link to the video in the website link #1 if you want.

The "Creole Stomp" was talked about some time back on the bravenet, but here we go again, and it's worth it! The computer icon link below is a you tube video of Bubba Brown. He does this song well and at the correct speed. He's playing it traditional on a "C" accordion (on the pull) or (2nd position) (key of G). If you learn every turn he plays for this Creole Stomp, then you'll have mastered so many turns needed to play all kinds of Cajun two steps. You can steal parts of these turns and use them in other songs. And believe it or not....the settings of this video allow you to slow down the speed if your computer is set up right. Work hard at it and don't give up till you get it! It's well worth it and one of the most valuable lessons to have in your repetoir. Take it from me, I wish Ida learned from this video when I was just starting out. Would have saved me years of wondering aimlessly and being jealous of other players. It is one of the very few you tube videos that I would post of a modern day accordion player showing his stuff. In this case "Bubba's stuff" is top notch and almost as if he gave up so many secrets in one single song, that it aint even funny. Many of the old timers would have had him assassinated for putting that many secret licks on video.

Seeing if this works. My usual choppy self, on the new box L'anse Grise made for me, with Harmonkas reeds

Very clear cut and well played in my opinion Bryan with a good balanced use of the keybord, A-, wait a minute I'm not qualified to give out exam grades!

I'm still practicing mine with a hope of getting my fingers round some Bubba licks!
Definitely things I can pick up from your rendition too.

Really like the old style accordion and it sounds great, glad you finally got round to treating yourself. Whats the story with Harmonkas reeds then?

The Harmonikas Dix reeds were specially designed and built to be copies of the old Saxony reeds that were used in the old German boxes, like the Sterlings and Monarchs. They're even on zinc plates. I think they capture very well the tone of those reeds.

They certainly do Bryan, it's great that there is a company going to such lengths, with your building it's a perfect combination.
Well I've probably rushed in too early but I recorded my SOTM vid and can't be bothered to set it up again. Apologies for the poor quality folks, next time I'll use my new better camera but haven't got a card for it yet.
It's on my Gabbi King in G, I've attempted to Zyde things up a bit so the intro might seem a bit odd. Enjoying the other vids so far, well done John for getting
it going again.

Bryan

Why did you use the split bellows with the middle wooden frame? Is that old style or just for fun, or what?

This accordion looks great and sounds wonderful.

Gene

Long time ago split bellows were used because of the technique of making bellows.. easier to couple or triple short bellows.

I suspect that the split bellows giving more folds would work well with low pitched reeds such as boxes in G and A.

I had a custom made Quebec box from a famous maker.. Box came with a split bellows. The box was in D and the total bellows folds was the same as a standard single bellows. After a time with this box, I would have ordered it without the split bellows.. made no difference to the sound or playability.
Looked good, but in practical terms a standard number of folds on a Bb, C, or D box would be plenty.

Bryan, Box looks fantastic, sounds great, excellent playing.. thanks.
I believe Montmarquette played in A.

Thanks. The divider, like Bohemian mentions, serves no functional or practical purpose, I just like the look of it. I'm not one much for ruts.

Bryan,

Any thoughts on the air volume/pressure with respect to the lower pitched reeds. ?

Here's an example of a triple bellows as is common on the Bandoneon ( the most difficult to play of all accordeons)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKVlQREu1co

Here is Gilles Poutoux playing a Quebec made "Melodie" accordion with a double bellows. The bellows are made by the maker and his wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e34KipcjAzA

Here are Raynald Ouelett and Marcel Messervier playing two Messervier made accordeons.. both with double bellows.

Also note 2 stops only for the piccolo and low reed, also metal keyboard plate and metal framing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvxVvVSpbrw

I have wondered the same thing, and only have amateurish speculation. I don't think the number of sections come into play of anything on accordions like mine, because the bellows is the exact same size as a standard size Cajun box, I just removed 2 folds out of the middle to match the thickness of the divider. One thing I never hear mentioned in respect to volume/pressure is the depth of folds, which are available in several depth, but that may be a good discussion on the melnet.

There have been several discussion on melnet over the years about fold depth.

Depth can vary greatly and the conversation varied from suppleness to speed of closing/opening and more importantly pressure, not just volume, but pressure. I believe there are reasons some builders such as Bergflodt, Melodie, Messervier, Clement Breton etc make their own bellows.

Many years ago I had ongoing discussions with the owner and tech of an accordion shop in So Cal (ABC) discussing bellows.. This goes back over 25 years. We concluded that bellows are traditional, and function well, but with new technologies and advanced materials.. likely there is another way to go about providing air to a box.

I believe this will be one of the new directions of an accordeon...it's all about the air flow.

I like the way you ended that song. A "doubles" rule breaking trill and blend on the 5 then 3 and 6 buttons respectively. That's not easily discovered by a lot of accordion players. Who showed you dat?

Just listening. That's how I learn for the most part. I wish I had someone who knew what they were doing to show me how to improve, but that's what you get when you are stuck in the dead center of Missouri. I'm thankful for this board because it's allowed me to at least have some more connection to the music and figure things out.

Since Nedro is putting up his progress, I felt I needed to make a second attempt. I'm feeling more confident in the melody and starting, finally, to get the feel of the 6/7 pull at the beginning. For some reason that was eluding me. I suppose next version I hope to add at least one more turn to it. Don't know how that's going to go, but I'm going to at least make the attempt

As promised, one last try at this tune. I still have a ways to go, but I think I've gotten my fingers around another turn. Lots of cleaning up to do but I wanted to try to run it at speed just to see if I could handle it for when I bring it to the band for a fast two step. Thanks to Mr. John for bringing the SOTM back. Now to start work on Colinda.

Ehren, nice job and a marked improvement. I like dem bounces!

Here's my Creole Stomp

Here's my shot at it which is also a demo of that splendid Martin that I have for sale.

Re: Here's my Creole Stomp

Whoooaaa... holy moley guacamole there Ned. Right on!! Tear it up!! Good job. I'm gonna listen to that some and work on some variations.

Thanks

John in Oregon

Late entry - Mr Guy plays the Gruesome edition. Apologies for cheevering the tempo. Hope embed thingmy works.

Kudos! I didn't think you would do it!

Nice and clean, maybe sterile is a better word. Maybe a sip of scotch would help.

I made a video of the SOTM (Creole Stomp) on an iPad but I don’t know what to do with it to show up in this forum. Any advise? Thanks.
Don

Don, upload the video to YouTube. Copy the URL address of the uploaded video to the clipboard.

Then go to this site: https://www.tools4noobs.com/online_tools/youtube_xhtml/ (also at link #1)

Paste the video URL in the appropriate box and follow the instruction for the code generator. Copy the generated HTML code to the clipboard.

Start your new post here and paste the code from the code generator into the body of your text.

The video will not appear in "preview," but if all goes well it will show up after you post your message.

Good luck!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!