Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Agree on HA-114 - German made.

I bought mine brand new as well. From Elderly Instruments in mid 1990. The cost was $325 or so.

I think the actual model designation was HA-114 B, Black C.

They may not have been Cajun tuned, but that is how they were marketed. I'm going off of memory from 1990, but the promotional literature clearly indicated that the tuning was different from the normal HA-114. Specifically, they said it was less wet than usual, and that it had "lightly tempered thirds".

I played mine alongside of the normal stock HA-114 made around the same time, and there was clearly a major difference in the tuning. I considered it to be more suitable for playing Cajun music, and that was obviously the intent.

Comparing the Cajun version and the normal stock version built in the same time period, the tuning was significantly different, and there were also minor cosmetic differences. Other than that, they were exactly the same in all respects.

They were also similar in that Hohner was cutting back on the quality of their accordions. The thumb strap, wrist strap and bellows closure straps were all of very poor quality, and uncomfortable. The thumb strap was plastic and cut into your thumb. The keyboard was plastic - yuck. The stops would not stay in position when opened. I had to fix that by putting a thin strip of plastic behind the sliding wood blocks that were supposed to hold the stops in position. The springs to return the keys into closed position were very flimsy and broke all the time. Fortunately, you could buy stronger ones to replace them, which I did.

All of these things were different from older HA-114s which I looked at around that time. I think they were from the 50's or 60's. Much higher quality. I have no idea if the reeds had gone down hill by the 80's as well, but Hohner was cutting corners everywhere they could, so the reeds probably were much worse as well.

Re: Starting Out

Western Virginia...

C'mon... someone step to the plate and help this guy out.

Also recommend The Button Box in Mass.. excellent place, do a search for their web site...

Call them and ask for Doug Creighton (pronounced craytun)... he'll get you going in the right direction.

70 years old and wanting to learn how to play the Cajun 10 button diatonic accordion? I've personally spoken with quite a few of my Cajun elders that have wanted to do that very same thing, and they have listened to Cajun music all their lives, but never thought they could play the accordion. When did you start listening to Cajun music Mr. Rich? How often do you listen to it? Does it pull you in to the point of wanting to go buy an accordion, guitar, fiddle, or triangle? My suggestion is to start with a set of spoons or the triangle, your foot keeping rhythm on the floor, or even your hand slapping on your knee, to see if you are able to follow the rhythm and the drop beat without much effort or error. If after that point you are helplessly drawn in even more, start making plans to get your accordion. By the way, to play Cajun accordion, you should be listening to Cajun music as often as possible! Preferably every day for an hour or more. With today's modern advances such as the internet, you can tune in to the local Louisiana Cajun radio stations from anywhere the internet is available. KRVS 88.7 has archives of their daily and weekly broadcast going back for years that can supply you with hour upon hour of entertainment and potential instruction. (KRVS 88.7 "Programs A-Z") To become as good as the players that were considered Masters of the old days, it most likely will take you about 20-30 years with a good bit of Cajun music immersion. And all your fingers and both hands and arms need to be working pretty well also. If you don't get it in this life, stand in line in the Cajun musician section (accordion player) when you go to apply for your next life. Not me! I'm never coming back! LOL

Well Greezy.. I agree with you. In my humble opinion, if a person doesn't have inherently solid rhythm in their bones, then they would be better off trying something else non-instrumental ( 'coz trying to play a musical instrument without good rhythm is a painful experience for all..particularly if it involves fitting in with other musicians in a group or band situation )..

Right on Brother! So true.

Thanks everyone for the excellent replies. I don't think I'll have to much trouble with rhythm, etc. I played trumpet in high school many years ago, I also played clawhammer banjo in an old time stringband group quite a few years ago. And more recent I played handbells in a church handbell choir. I listen to cajun music nearly everyday for a while mostly on Youtube. So I guess my next step is to find a box. Thanks again.

Rich,

I also play clawhammer banjo. I currently own a Bart Reiter Grand Concert from around 1992. My third BArt Reiter.. He no longer makes this model.. too much work and too expensive for most players.

If you can play clawhammer banjo, you can definitely play a 10 button accordion.

Are you intent on strictly Cajun music or are you also interested in playing Irish, Quebec Scottish, American fiddle and dance tunes ?

I do strongly recommend a Hohner HA 114....

A regal or Galotta or Weltmeister would be ok...
but not for the process I see.

Absolutely not necessary to get a "handmade" Cajun made box. Lots of great music has been played on Hohners.

Fast fun cheap easy to repair, good resale when you want to turn it. Hohner is no longer making one rows and discontinued German Made over a decade ago.

Hohner no longer making single rows???

Is Hohner really no longer making any kind of single row accordions?

No HA-114? What about the Cajun IV? It seems that was a new model not that long ago. Is it gone now?

What about the (despised) Arriette? Is that gone too? If so, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Re: Hohner no longer making single rows???

I confirmed that the HA114 is kaput.. I don't know about the Ariette or the Cajun IV.

I'll see what I can find out.

Hohner is rather fragmented.. There is Hohner Germany, Hohner USA run by Gilbert Reyes formerly in education around the Sacramento, Calif area. and then there are all the USA distributors.. Dealers buy form the distributors, not Hohner.

The said they had big plans to reintroduce the Erica in a Bb/Eb for the Dominican players and other top quality boxesw.

Instead they concentrated on three rows as Reyes is a Tex/Mex Norteno proponent... and then they brought in the groosly overpriced 3 row from Italy called the Ancletta.... I'll verify the spelling.

They really missed the mark.

Not everyone wants to play TexMex/ Norteno... There is a huge Quebec market for a fair priced good quality box that can fill the gap between their own Chinese junkl and Hand Made Quebec and LA boxes.

Thjere is a Nova Scotia Market, a USA Irish market for one rows and 2 row 1/2 step boxes...
And what if Hohner came back out with a quality HA114 with buttons that don't dive into never never land and padded so they don't clack and quality bellows tape etc.. offer the box in a correct Cajun tuning and an Irish/Quebec tuning that is not their typical 17 cents wet and barely tuned correctly.

Greed.

From melodeon.net
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19534.msg236880.html#msg236880

Sans Savvy

How on Earth has Hohner managed to remain a prominent brand in button accordions while being completely disconnected from their markets?

The Ariette is a crime; the Cajun IV is base-born (to be polite), and the multi-row boxes a muddled mess.

If logic were to prevail, the HA-114 would be the sole surviving single-row.

Re: Sans Savvy

I cannot understand Hohner either. Idiots to say the least. If they would just offer a good quality Cajun HA-114B in black in both "C" and "D" with base buttons instead of those dam paddles, they'd make a killing! Last time I dealt with them, I ordered a set of HA-114 reeds and had them put into a Louisiana handmade accordion then tuned 15cents wet. Awesome sound! They may still have those sets of HA-114 reeds for sale, but the base reeds for the base side may not be installable for your Louisiana accordion because of the size of the base reeds.. I wonder if somewhere in Germany, they still have those warehouses full of Hohner accordions or at least the German made reeds? That would be a got dam treasure trove considering Hohner now has its head shoved completely inside it's backside. I'm going to have to give them SOB's a call and give them a peace of my mind one day.

Say Whuh ?

They are now pushing the Anacleto three row and will not allow the dealers to publish the MSRP !.. (except on e Bay if you want a real shock.. on sale for $3500-$6950.. that's the sale price)

"All Anacleto accordions are Made in Italy and feature handmade reeds. They were created by Hohner to fulfill a niche for high quality accordions for performing professional musicians. They come in a variety of colors and designs. Anacleto is the new choice for Nortena and Latin music. Includes 90 day factory warranty. "

$5000- $9000.. with a N IN E T Y D A Y (90) warranty..
Is this a joke ?

And they don't even make them themselves.

For that kind of money you can get a Castagnari a Gaillard,a Serafini, a Beltrami and scores of other quality boxes made by the name on the Accordeon..

The Anancletos are made in Castelfidardo where the rest of the Italian Accordeons are made.

I'll see if I can find out who the actual maker might be.

Re: Say Whuh ?

Wow. Just wow. How pathetic is that? They have totally lost it.

Re: Say Whuh ?

What they have done is given Gabbanelli USA a massive advantage for their poor quality, grossly over priced, more myth than box, and the worst customer service in the business.

I still have an admiration for the pre 1990s Hohners.. And possibly the Xtremes but this current production and marketing makes no sense given there are far better choices at less money.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!