Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: German Regal accordions?

I don't know what they are like nowadays, but back in the early 90's they were OK-ish.

If they have maintained quality since that time, and the price hasn't gone through the roof, they would be a decent enough starter box.

Certainly, they would be vastly superior to the Chinese junk boxes, which should be avoided like the plague.

Re: German Regal accordions?

Agreed.

My first box after my 1915-1920 no name Sharped Bb Saxon box was a Galotta...same box we are discussing.

I played it for about 2 years. I sold to a guy in Virginia who then sent it to Jude Moreau to have the hair pin springs traded out for coils and some retuning.

The slides were made from a milky white plastic and tended to curl with age. The box materials were spruce, pine and beech. Always painted black. The tin corners and other metal hardware were cheap. Lots of sloppy glue glops internally and lots of wood slivers and frayed edges. The reed bloks were "expedient".

But it played well.

What ever you do do NOT buy any Chinese made accordion. Not that they might not have the skills, it's the cheap Botards in the US that order them and insist on the lowest prioce which means the cheapest materials and sloppy workmanship.. And yes they can be tweaked but not worth the time.

It is my opinion that if a country does not have an accordion culture and the makers don't have any experience playing them.. to them just might as well be galvanized buckets or Gnome Lamps.

Get a used Hohner HA114 in C 80s or earlier.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!