Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hohner no longer making single rows???

I confirmed that the HA114 is kaput.. I don't know about the Ariette or the Cajun IV.

I'll see what I can find out.

Hohner is rather fragmented.. There is Hohner Germany, Hohner USA run by Gilbert Reyes formerly in education around the Sacramento, Calif area. and then there are all the USA distributors.. Dealers buy form the distributors, not Hohner.

The said they had big plans to reintroduce the Erica in a Bb/Eb for the Dominican players and other top quality boxesw.

Instead they concentrated on three rows as Reyes is a Tex/Mex Norteno proponent... and then they brought in the groosly overpriced 3 row from Italy called the Ancletta.... I'll verify the spelling.

They really missed the mark.

Not everyone wants to play TexMex/ Norteno... There is a huge Quebec market for a fair priced good quality box that can fill the gap between their own Chinese junkl and Hand Made Quebec and LA boxes.

Thjere is a Nova Scotia Market, a USA Irish market for one rows and 2 row 1/2 step boxes...
And what if Hohner came back out with a quality HA114 with buttons that don't dive into never never land and padded so they don't clack and quality bellows tape etc.. offer the box in a correct Cajun tuning and an Irish/Quebec tuning that is not their typical 17 cents wet and barely tuned correctly.

Greed.

From melodeon.net
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19534.msg236880.html#msg236880

Sans Savvy

How on Earth has Hohner managed to remain a prominent brand in button accordions while being completely disconnected from their markets?

The Ariette is a crime; the Cajun IV is base-born (to be polite), and the multi-row boxes a muddled mess.

If logic were to prevail, the HA-114 would be the sole surviving single-row.

Re: Sans Savvy

I cannot understand Hohner either. Idiots to say the least. If they would just offer a good quality Cajun HA-114B in black in both "C" and "D" with base buttons instead of those dam paddles, they'd make a killing! Last time I dealt with them, I ordered a set of HA-114 reeds and had them put into a Louisiana handmade accordion then tuned 15cents wet. Awesome sound! They may still have those sets of HA-114 reeds for sale, but the base reeds for the base side may not be installable for your Louisiana accordion because of the size of the base reeds.. I wonder if somewhere in Germany, they still have those warehouses full of Hohner accordions or at least the German made reeds? That would be a got dam treasure trove considering Hohner now has its head shoved completely inside it's backside. I'm going to have to give them SOB's a call and give them a peace of my mind one day.

Say Whuh ?

They are now pushing the Anacleto three row and will not allow the dealers to publish the MSRP !.. (except on e Bay if you want a real shock.. on sale for $3500-$6950.. that's the sale price)

"All Anacleto accordions are Made in Italy and feature handmade reeds. They were created by Hohner to fulfill a niche for high quality accordions for performing professional musicians. They come in a variety of colors and designs. Anacleto is the new choice for Nortena and Latin music. Includes 90 day factory warranty. "

$5000- $9000.. with a N IN E T Y D A Y (90) warranty..
Is this a joke ?

And they don't even make them themselves.

For that kind of money you can get a Castagnari a Gaillard,a Serafini, a Beltrami and scores of other quality boxes made by the name on the Accordeon..

The Anancletos are made in Castelfidardo where the rest of the Italian Accordeons are made.

I'll see if I can find out who the actual maker might be.

Re: Say Whuh ?

Wow. Just wow. How pathetic is that? They have totally lost it.

Re: Say Whuh ?

What they have done is given Gabbanelli USA a massive advantage for their poor quality, grossly over priced, more myth than box, and the worst customer service in the business.

I still have an admiration for the pre 1990s Hohners.. And possibly the Xtremes but this current production and marketing makes no sense given there are far better choices at less money.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!