Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hohner Erica or Hohner Pokerwork for Zydeco/Creole?

Been chasing the Boozoo sound on a single row 114. Just started listening to Cedric Watson on his 2 row. I'm starting to shop and have come across Ericas and Pokerworks as possibilities. Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

JayB

Re: Hohner Erica or Hohner Pokerwork for Zydeco/Creole?

It's a good question.

Here are a couple observations I would make.

First, both the Erica and Pokerwork are 2 rows. It is rare that you would see 2 rows used in zydeco and creole. Not saying it's wrong, just rare.

Triple rows are much, much more commonly used. A triple row is much more versatile in terms of keys you can play in, the ability to play more full chords, and it also has more accidentals, which allow you to play more "blue" notes (flat third, flat 7th, flat 5th) and chromatic melodies.

Second, I don't see any switches on Erica and Pokerwork, which most likely means that they only have 2 sets of middle reeds. This is sometimes designated as MM. Use of MM accordions is also rare in zydeco. Again, not saying its wrong, just rare.

It comes down to personal preference. My preference, and my opinion is that zydeco sounds better if you have a low reed bank on the treble side. For example, LMM, which has the same two middle sets of reeds and adds the low. There are LMM accordions available, such has the Hohner Corona IIIR. But it's more common to find LMMM.

To me, something is seriously lacking without the low reeds.

For some unknown reason, you will almost never find a two row or triple row with the same reed configuration as the 4 reed single row accordions, which is LMMH. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen one or heard of one.

Lastly, I would be worried about getting a recently made Hohner accordion of any kind, as they are all made in China now, and the quality has drastically declined in both materials and workmanship. If you could find an older one in good condition, it would be a better choice.

The Cajun IV unfortunately is still in production.

The Ariette and the HA 114 discontinued.

The Erica is available but made in China. Keys of G/C, A/D,and C/F only.

The Corso is discontinued.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Rosie+Ledet+Zydeco&id=719AD679764C77837CB6EF3A303CC6C208D04014&FORM=IDBQDM

Rosie Ledet plays a Dino Baffetti two row and knocks it out of the park.

I am a two row fan from way back...

Modern TexMex/Norteno players swear by the three row but forget Don Santiago Jimenez invented this stuff and did it on a Pokerwork..

His son Santiago Junior is primarily a two row Erica player and is absolutely fantastic... a far better player than Flaco IMNSHO.

Keep in mind that a two Row Erica in G/C has only one note not found on a Corona 3 row G/C/F

I find absolutely no reason why you couldn't play Zydeco on a Hohner Erica 2 row... but make sure it's German made and 1980 or earlier..

I like Pokerworks a lot... I've owned at least 10 over the years.
Be careful though get one that's been refurbed and tuned..
Call Doug at The Button Box.. I believe he may have a couple older ones in inventory.

Cedric is killer on the pokerwork.. I believe the first video I heard him play the two row was a Pokerwork in C/F... very bluesy

Rarely Hohner made the Erica and the pokerwork in Bb/Eb they are a special box used by the Dominican players they add an extra button on the inner row on the low end...
Do you tube search for Dominican accordion.. it'll blow you away...
Wonder where some of the licks come from for Zydeco ???

GO FOR IT !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz-1lzvXuzg

This has a whole lot of Dominican flavor to it..

That is a about a 1970-80 Black Erica.. the black ones are difficult to find and sell for more than the red ones.

I have a picture of Nathan Abshire playing a Pokerwork... if he can do it... you can too.

One other note:

Hohner made a Model called the CORSO.. I've owned a few of these.
Last one I bought was at an auction in Pacific Grove, Calif .. mint condition $35.35, no joke.

They are a ERICA with a CORONA keyboard and three middle reeds...MMM..

Not so common anymore.. used to be cheaper than ERICAs no one wanted them..
They came in mostly G/C and C/F rarely D/G. Cool boxes if you can get them toned down on the overly wet tuning.

There was another model called the Double Ray Deluxe... about the same thing but usually tuned in Irish keys such as B/C and C#/D.

PS I have owned more two rows (and 2 1/2 rows) than anything else...

I prefer 3 reeds just for the record, LMM and I am willing to pay for a good one.
Currently considering another.

I prefer Castagnaris.

However there is a very cool used 2 row plus a third row of 2 buttons on the Button Box site.

It is a black Saltarelle G/C at $$2500 with handmade reeds it is a very good deal. Couple small dings but otherwise excellent condition and about $1000 less than new.

Scroll down to the Saltarelle Lorelei.. a rare box.

http://www.buttonbox.com/button-accordions-in-stock.html

Found a very nice Pokerwork for sale

I believe the box is from the 60s

Very nice condition with few exceptions.
Virtually no wear.
The thumb strap has split near the rivets due to age.

Box is clean as a whistle and the bellows look like new.

The key stytem is C/F perfect for Cajun... blues whatever.

Rare to find one in this condition,.

Asking price is $375... Compares with what is available at $500-700.

I just got off the phone with the guy he is sending some more photos.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll apss along the details.

If you are looking for one this is an uncommon find.

Appears to be nearly unplayed.

This is about half the price of the two pokerworks offered by the Button Box now listed on their web site and infinitely better condition.

Cedric and Hohner.

He is now an "endorser"

On his web page at the top you will see a photo of him that changes to two more.

One photo is of him playing one of the latest black Ericas, (rare) only available to a chosen few and you can bet his was custom tuned.

The pother two photos are of Cedric playing a Corso....

Why do I know...

Look closely at the black Erica and look at the distance between the buttons on the inner row and the grille... short distance.

Look at the red box and look at the distance between the inner row and the grille..big distance..that's because it is a three reed box and not a two row such as the Erica and it is a Corona 3 row keyboard without the holes punched for the third row.. this is original to this box only..
So...he is playing a CORSO from about the 60s.. perhaps early 70s.

I know where there is one at a decent price..
Misidentified by the seller...
if interested don't tell em what you know .. just buy it..

Cedrics box is likely C/F as most of the Corsos were C/F.....

If you have an interest I'll pass the info on to you...

Could make a very cool Zydeco/Blues box.. and C row good for all kinds of music....

I have no financial interest... of any kind.

Wow! Great information/feedback - thanks Bohemian and David!

Yep, I'd like contact info for the Pokerwork and the Corso.

Anxious to start down the 2 row road!

Thanks again -

Got a chance to listen to the Cedric Watson link with Dog Hill as part of the clip - really nice! I'd love to be able to get that sound/rhythm!

Pokerwork.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/msg/5957995222.html

Corso

Scroll down to item 2436.. they have this incorrectly described as 2 reed instrument.. it is not it is a 3 reed for sure. Note the wide keyboard with a red celluloid face.. CORSO.. 3 reed

http://www.libertybellows.com/sales-diatonic.html

Thanks!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!