Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: learning the bass/chord side of the accordion

Don, I had the same problem with waltz timing early on so used to just practice the bass side with no treble- also concentrating on foot taps, then after time slowly introduced some treble once I'd established a solid rhythm. Jolie Blonde was the tune that helped me as that melody is so memorable. Playing guitar helps too if you just play chord strums with alternating bass strings, you don't need to be a good guitarist as the chords are minimal, I have a cheap guitar just for the purpose of informing my accordion playing.

Ah the crux of so many accordion players. You think you just need the key to run the car, when the most important thing you need is your feet and hands and your sense of feeling for the car, the road, and the flow of the traffic.

Learn to tap you feet my friend! I always put the accordion on my left leg and that's because my right leg stomps out the drop beat>>(the more pronounced beat that matches up to the drop beat or base beat of all these Cajun songs). You don't want that accordion sitting on your stomping leg! Every member of any Cajun band should be in sinc with this drop beat. For two steps you tap the ball of your left foot once and stomp the heel of your right foot once to make yourself feel and concentrate on the drop beat or (the base beat). One for one. You make the base buttons on your accordion match up to this rhythm that your feet are doing and vice versa. You should be pressing the bottom base button at the same time your right foot stomps heel and pressing the top base/chord button when you're tapping the ball of your left foot. And do not forget that your playing on the 10 treble buttons must also have pronounced pressing and bellows action moments that match up to your base side and to that drop beat your right foot is doing! Very important. This way, your whole body, mind, soul, and accordion gets wrapped up in this coordinated drop beat rhythm. Now please, do it with some sense. Don't make it look like all your effort is going into stomping you feet and looking like you're at some kind of a Kentucky hoedown. I saw a young accordion player over doing it on youtube and it looked very disturbing. I'm not going to mention any names so as not to break his heart because he comes to this forum.
For the waltz it's two taps of the left foot to one "softer" stomp of the right heel. Two presses on the top base/chord button and one press on the bottom base button that follow your feet accordingly. For a waltz, your pronounced button presses on the 10 button side and bellows action moments will happen at the exact time you are pressing the bottom base button and your right foot makes its stomp. All in sinc. Now that you know the secret, you have to make muscle memory happen by practicing it all the time. Believe me, you won't be sorry and your playing will be lively and it will have some sting to both you and whoever happens to watch you play. And for cripes sake, grasp your base block with the ring and middle finger like you own that mother #$%^&*! Make them two fingers stay put and solid at all times. Do not let them stick up into the air or move around like you're drinking tea in England. Every time I see an accordion player with a poor base block grip, I immediately know that he doesn't know the secret, and he has poor rhythm to prove it. My Grandfather insisted that we either learn to play the triangle first or learn to tap our feet in rhythm with his while he played accordion or the fiddle. This is how I became aware of all that I typed above. I was stupid and didn't want to listen to him at first, but many years later concentrated on my foot tapping trying to honor his instruction, and it paid off big time. I have put it as plain as I could. It's up to you now. Now go and play your base side grass hopper. LOL

Thanks Bassman, John, AJ, and Greezy for your tips and encouragement. I knew I wasn’t the only one who had difficulties training my hands and feet with the music. It will take time (like it already has taken to get to this point),
but when I see effortless playing by others I want to be there too someday. My appreciation for your helpful words.

Don

Hey Don, one other way to practice your foot and base button work without having to play the song on the treble side is to find a good recording on you tube that you can hear the seconds being played, and tap your feet and play your base buttons along with the song. Make sure your accordion and the accordion on the recording are built in the same key of course. And try to match which direction you need to be pushing or pulling according to the sound of the players melody, singing, and base buttons. Don't let yourself slip behind for another 4 years man!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!