Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nathan Abshire at Freds circa 1976

https://youtu.be/wGoviW-1vQ8

Now this is winding the clock back.. and it looks like Fred's Lounge ...my, how things have changed. Anyone know who's playing and who's the radio announcer?...and who's working the bar?...Tante Sue?

Re: Nathan Abshire at Freds circa 1976

? Bamboo Lounge

Darryl, the Bamboo was a lounge/motel on the northwest corner of Mamou, on HWY 13, as Revon said, "coldest beer in the neighborhood, young girl waitresses to make drinks just like you like them...". It was a bit sleazy, dark and smoky, just like most of the old dance halls. I played a good bit of pool there.

Classic Fred's with Nathan on the accordion, Sady Courville on the fiddle, Preston Manuel on the guitar, and Savy Augustine on the bastrange[t-fer]. Revon Reed is the radio announcer. Fred Tate and Tante Sue are behind the bar. I saw several other people I know there. I am sure Bryan Lafleur would recognize a lot of the people. Good stuff and fond memories.

Thanks for the link and for the comments... great stuff.

That is what I have always thought Cajun life and Cajun music was all about.

Yep..it's roots music at it's best.
I sorta felt a bit sad when posting the clip for the folks who see it and recognise friends who have long passed on. But, I guess that's life's rich tapestry.
After all.. what better legacy can you give than to have your music appreciated by generations that follow .So many folks tapping their toes and jigging along.
Wonder if anyone in the crowd at Fred's would be known to people here on the board.? And for me, that brief glimpse of Fred Tate and Tante Sue was of interest.
From a musical point of view, the way that Nathan A. controlled the pattern of the performance and the showmanship that followed was really interesting...was as if this was a release from the grind of the working day.

OK..thanx for the info . . Sure would like to see some old photos/images of the Bamboo and Freds. Did you recognise any people in the footage other than those mentioned already?I've been to Freds many times when visiting LA from Australia. Know Tante Sue well...won the " who's the visitor to Freds from the most distant place? "...easy money for me and my wife and Aussie friends !! LOL.

I spot a few other musicians in the video. At the very beginning, one of the guitar players is Ms. Ethel Tate (Paul Tate, Sr.'s sister). She played quite a bit with Wallace "Cheese" Reed. At about the 3:05 minute mark I see Ed Deshotels (Deshotels Brothers) standing behind the Fender amp on Savy Augustine's right.

This clip may be of interest, Dowell. Ed and Bee Deshotels..https://youtu.be/sQTx4O0CwwA

And..Wallace " Cheese " Read...aand this extract from a comment posted about him.

https://youtu.be/8MovBRNodOU

John Coleman Vidrine2 years ago
Cher Cheese! His fiddle was one of three made by a son of Nicola Amati. He told me one day that he had been offered $17,000 for it, but declined. His father Willie Read had given it to him as a kid. His favorite drink was 10 High bourbon sweetened with sugar in iced water. He told me it made the whiskey a little stronger. He gave me my first beer when I was about 3 or 4 while he was barbecuing at his momma's in Ville Platte. That was to calm me down because I was chasing the ducks to watch them swim in the pond.

Thanks Dowell for that information about Paul Tate's sister on guitar. That was my guess who it was. I wonder if Robert LeBlanc knew her from jams at Marc Savoy's? Good to hear from you!

Yes Neil, now I recognize her. Good hearing from you , Mr Dowell, and Brian. Lache pas

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!