Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: old sound parakeetism

You are correct Bryan. I just heard that both Bois Sec and Amede Ardoin were taught by the same accordion player on this video called "The Death of Amede Ardoin. But the one who posted the video cut the man's name out! I have been thinking on this for a while. WHO TAUGHT AMEDE ARDOIN TO PLAY ACCORDION?? Surely he didn't get handed a bran new accordion as a child and all of a sudden he composed the roots of our Cajun Music Repertoire. Surely he was not the first accordion player ever. Which begs the question, how long has the accordion been around in Cajun Land? Joe Falcon and Cleoma brought Amede Ardoin with them to New York and the first recordings of Cajun music were cut. I just learned that too.

Been a curiosity for me also, who taught the old guys. According to popular legend, the accordion didn't make it to SW La til around the turn of the century, but by the 20's, we guys playing incredibly, just from recordings, and no telling how many unrecorded. So how did they learn to do all that cool stuff that I still can't do after studying them on electronic playback over and over and with youtube.

I shall post my findings soon on how they did it. Doing some serious study on the matter. Almost feverishly. LOL

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!