Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: LEARNING THE CREOLE STOMP

I'm reminded of the Wizard of Oz...

Get a drum machine or a looper, if practicing at home...create a backing track of drum/guitar. That'll keep you alert to the tempo. I found that, although I have a well developed natural rhythm, it's great to have an accompaniest or a band behind you to keep the accordion playing up to the mark...it's like your adrenalin kicks in and suddenly you're on the beat, and you may just surprise yourself ! My Humble Opinion.

Darryl, you're exactly right. I'm not rhythmically challenged. With accompaniment, I do OK. Without, there's just way too much going on with the squeezebox. Working past the jerkiness, then come the rushing tempo. My goal is unconscious consistency.

ON THE OTHER HAND..you simply need to have the skills of fellow Discussion Board contributor, Robert LeBlanc, and sit in a nice reverby room, then all would be well with the World of UN-Accompanied Cajun Accordion playing...LOL.

https://youtu.be/6WIvRsGkKj0

Re: LEARNING THE GREEZY STOMP

Mr Greezy - somewhere in all your excitement I usually find an opinion I can agree with. The sometime mystic belief in the Cajun accordion and its music quite often astounds me. I rejoice in you not putting out a video and thus we avoid yet another prophet of the Church of Cajun Accordion who shall be revered and his scripture quoted. So thanks for that.

You're welcome Mr Guy. Hey Nedro, I got something that might help with that thumb and thumb strap of yern. Go to the accordion maker and make him adjust your thumb strap to fit your situation. Or, you can adjust the strap yourself and make that thumb do right by you. That's what I'd try.

Greezy, thanks, but "my accordion builder" is 300 miles away. I am my own accordion repair man.

I've developed a small leather shop experimenting with various leathers and softening treatments, along with every possible width, length, thickness, and angle. Adding lacing at the midpoint and constraints is another modification.

I've got it under control. YOU seem to be the one most uncomfortable with it, and I apologize for your discomfort.

Not uncomfortable. Antsy maybe. The right thumb strap and playing hand position make a lot of difference in the outcome of playing accordion. Lots of people overlook it, but what's the very first thing we notice when we get to play someone else's accordion. (The thumb strap feels or looks too loose, or too tight) And Nedro, because I care makes me antsy.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!