Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: best accordion player we have never heard: Joyah Guidry

Nope, no one's ever heard of Joyah Guidry outside of the Ponderings of a Reincarnated Neanderthal. So far I've heard that Canray Fontenot's father taught or helped Amede Ardoin. Now I hear about this Joyah Guidry. One day Imma have to sit down and list all the accordion players born within a few years of Amede Ardoin.

Amede Ardoin-1898
Angelas Lejeune-1898 or 1899
Amede Breaux-1900
Joe Falcon-1900

While you're at it, check on these also:

John Bertrand
Oscar Doucet
Columbus Fruge
Bixy Guidry
Mayeus LaFleur
Bartman Montet
Moise Robin
Dewey Segura

They alll recorded in the late 1920's and earley 30's.

Thanks Nedro. I will add them to the list I started the other night. I'm starting to see that Amede Ardoin didn't just appear on the scene and create all Cajun accordion music. It's starting to look like there were many unknown accordion players going back to the 1830's roughly. And I think they got their song repertoire from fiddle players both white and black. It is said that Dennis McGee had a song repertoire of close to 500 songs on fiddle. I would think that when the accordion made it to Cajun land, they tried to hunt and peck out these old fiddle songs on the accordion by memory.

Re: best accordin player ever

Watch JAI ETE' AU BAL ( I WENT TO THE DANCE ) The answer should be clear after watching this DVD

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!