Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hohner HA-114B for sale- $500 Houston, TX

Hello everyone! After lurking around here for months, reading all the posts, it is time to make my first post. I got into playing the Cajun Accordion in December, and I'm ready to upgrade to something a little different.

https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/6057873384.html

I am selling my Hohner Cajun Accordion to purchase a handmade squeezebox. It was made in Germany, before Hohner sent all their manufacturing to China. It is Cajun tuned, sounds and works great!

There are minor scratches and cosmetic wear consistent with a well-cared for instrument of its age, but it is tuned well and sounds great.

I sent an email to Marc Savoy of Eunice LA, the Godfather of Cajun Accordions, after purchasing to find out the details of what I just bought. He had this to say:

Hi Tyler,
You have made a good purchase! These black 114's were produced on my insistence that Hohner offer them "just" tempered[ Cajun style] and octave tuned instead of "equal "tempered and tremolo tuned. This was about 20 years ago but the one in your photograph seems to have just come off the production line . You were lucky to find one.
Sincerely,
Marc Savoy

Re: Hohner HA-114B for sale- $500 Houston, TX

I bought an HA114B new..no one had touched this instrument.. A friend owned the store (Salinas, Calif) and called me the day it came in.

Mine was NOT "Cajun", or "just" tuned.

It was 12TET and drier and more exacting than the standard Hohner too wet and sloppy tuning.

It had a stronger black bellows tape and a stenciled "HOHNER"
vertically on the right side front.

It was part of the tail end of the German builds.

The HA114 has been discontinued earlier this year.

I have a mid 1950s HA114 in C.

Lots of great music has been played on the Hohner HA114,113,and 112 models

I also have a mid 1950s HA112 in "A" and a mid fifties HA113 also in "A"

BTW there are builders who copy the HA114 in better woods, straps and bellows but use the keyboard mechanisms and innards and reeds from the HA114..

Rees Wesson of Wales has done this.

you might also visit melodeon.net discussion group and list it there on the For Sale page.

Good luck on the sale.

PS

I have played a few Savoy made Acadian branded accordeons and none of them was tuned as he says he tunes (CAJUN tuning) on his Accordeon to Marc Savoy DVDs.

Tyler, if you meet me under the Lake Arthur bridge of Lake Arthur, La. on the date and time of your choice I'll buy that Ha-114B for $600 if I like the way it plays. $500 if I don't like the way it plays. The experience of watching me play will cover the gas and time it takes for you to come meet me. LOL.
I just called Hohner and they don't even sell the ha-114 reeds separately anymore. You would do well my friend to keep that accordion. At the very least, the reeds inside it can be put into any Louisiana made accordion brand you choose to go with, and tuned 15cents wet with the option to close one reed bank and kill the wet tuning to make an old dry sound. I can assure you, the sound of the old times coming out of a brand new Louisiana made accordion will not let you down. German made Hohner reeds are pretty special, and you won't hear that often because everyone is hoarding them as they'd rather help themselves than help you. Put them into a Louisiana built accordion and tune them correctly and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.
Welcome to the bravenet.

Hohner reeds are available if you know the sources and it ain't the US..
Charlie Marshall is your man.

Jeff,Please...elaborate on Charlie Marshall. How accessible or inaccessible is he and, are you willing to give up this Hohner reed source? Some valuable information you got there being Hohner USA out of Tennessee threw us all under the bus for some crazy reason. Well those of us that know and appreciate ha-114 reeds got thrown under the bus that is.

Accordeon Parts

I've kept this to myself for many years..

He is well known in England and Scotland and Ireland,

I called him this morning and he does and will ship to the states.

As to Hohner reeds....

For the 114 ... individually only meaning two reeds on a plate and you need to be specific as to the notes and the octave.. or give him the location on the reed block. These are current Hohner reeds made on the German machinery with German management and Chinese technicians. The source of the reed steel seems to be the same.

He also has springs, spoons, buttons, bellows tape, bellows etc for Hohners and for Italian accordeons.

He also has Italian Cagnoni reeds if you want to "up-grade".. these are available by sets.

He prefers e-mail

http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Welcome.html

Accordeon Parts and Accessories

Here's another source

FRM

http://accordiondepot.com/

He is in Revere Mass and speaks French (I believe)I think at one time he was in Canada, possibly Quebec.

Re: Accordeon Parts and Accessories

Frank with FRM was in Quebec till a couple years ago, and he does speak French. Crusty, but very helpful and knowledgeable on the phone. But I'm pretty sure he only deals with people in the business and larger orders. Charlie Marshall is also great to deal with and will sell to anyone. Good prices and service, quick shipping, but limited in materials as relates to what we play.

If anyone ever wants some Hohner reeds, I have a full set of C reeds I bought about 7-8 years ago new from Hohner, so probably made in China. Paid $250 for them, would sell for 150

Re: Accordeon Parts and Accessories

Saying Frank is "Crusty" is being kind.

I have been dealing with him for well over a decade.
He does have some interesting info and experiences in the business.. but he has to be in the right mood.

Charlie is the opposite. Very helpful and excellent service.

I took the liberty of posting your Craig's List ad on melodeon.net in the for sale column.

19 people have looked at the posting within the last hour.

Thank you very much!

I appreciate all of the information, as well as you posting that for me.

Thanks everyone! I got it sold, and didn't have to meet anyone under a bridge in Louisiana, haha!

Sincere thanks to all who posted, and I'm grateful to have this forum as a learning/communication resource.

Ty Steer

Congrats bon the sale !

Thanks for the Hohner reed contacts Jeff and Bryan. It's locked in the archives now. I'll be sure to remember it. Yes, and congrats on your sale Mr Steer, but I'm tellin ya, the meeting under the bridge would have changed your life friend. LOL. Not in a gay way either. And you would have kept that Hohner too, because I would have shown you a good reason to keep it.

And..Bryan and Jeff. You've proven to be a couple of selfless fellers. Willing to help out if asked. I like dat me.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!