Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Accordion faceplate / logo engraving

Thank you Bryan.

So the traditional way is to engrave a shallow surface of wood using a template / or a numerical pattern, then fill in with paint and cover the whole faceplate in lacquer / varnish / oil. Am I correct?

Would a simpler appliqué / silkscreening work as well or would it be amateurish?

Not many ever realize that Falcon's logos are not engraved, so I really don't think it matters much. I'd sure be open to trying options other than engraving, I really don't like bringing my stuff in to get engraved, and I like even less the hassle of filling the engraving, all for something that is hardly noticed. There's more important things to spend time and money on.

Some use a paint to fill. I use what is probably essentially a paint, but sold as a faux gold/silver leafing. When I do black fill, I use colored epoxy. Then yep, finish over it.

Silk screening? Would that work?

Then there is CASTAGNARI who cuts these from maple wood.
This the model I own. My third.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Y%2fxzkrSh&id=7EDA066575F1A17AA0372596D3389C31005E45C2&q=castagnari+melodeon+image&simid=608048696275829047&selectedIndex=188&ajaxhist=0

Here is Brendan Begeley's old CASTAGNARI with the stenciled name on the front..

Go to 30 seconds in the video and you can see what happens with age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAIrPXh_Hc

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!