Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: La valse cadienne

"NOT AVAILABLE" on both links.

Angelas' father, Augustine, played the fiddle and Angelas' brother, Theobert, played the accordion. Probably had music in the family for years.
WF

Thanks again for the hard to find info Wade. So this tells me that Angelas probably learned accordion by following his father Augustine on fiddle possibly.?
I can just hear the big scandal in the Lejeune household back then.
Augustine: "You two sons of bit***s are going to learn the fiddle!"
Angelas and Theobert: "Awww but dad the accordion is cooler and we can all play together your fiddle versus our accordion playing." "And dey only cost $10 down at the feed store!"

I'm happy to see someone else has took note of this Lafleur! I noticed that turn by Angelas that you're speaking of by reading the webmaster's footnotes on the "Hadacol It Something" website. He purposefully points out the turn that Angelas did for La Valse de la Louisianne or Iry's version, La Valse Cadjin. After listening to that turn over and over it took me over like a fever. I had to learn it. I'd say it took me about 6 months of trying off and on before I was able to do it at will. Yes, I do that turn for La Valse Cadjin. And since it interest you, you should try to learn it too. It's one of those tricks, if played correctly, might inspire someone watching you play it to go and buy themselves an accordion and learn how to play. Im not sure who taught that turn to Angelas, but it was one of two people. The Devil or Arch Angel Michael.
You do it by setting it up with a push combination on buttons 4 then 5/8 combined, then a short pull or (1/8th note LOL Nedro) on button 7 with your ring finger. Then here it goes! You jump your pinky finger to button 10 doing a rocking / rolling thing (all on the pull)using buttons 10 then 7 then 10 then 7 then 9 and repeat the combination again starting with button 7. You can take it from their on your own if you want it bad enough. Just know this, you have to roll into this turn like you're going over the top of the big climb on the rollercoaster. Once you make the set up or(peak) and start into the fall or (rock/roll) just go with it. Don't try to hold it back brother.

I've been working on it for a while now, finding the Doucet recording fired me back up.

Thanks, Neal. I hadn't noticed your mention of his turn in your site before. The song has a little added nostalgia for me with my great grandfather playing in the background.

I've never been a Beausoleil fan, but I just ordered the cd "L'Echo", that had this song "Angelas Waltz" on it. It's a cd dedicated to the old masters who influenced them as they were coming up, and looking at the song list, it was pretty interesting.

Also purchased, "Let Me Play This For You-Rare Cajun Recordings", cause it has some of Angelas' songs I hadn't heard (they're all on Youtube).

If you pan totally to the left you'll hear Jimmy playing along with Michael.

John

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!