Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: family waltz

Oh, I have something else! I just went sat down and played the Family Waltz again with a little more confidence and more ad libbing, and I believe I've discovered something. On the b-part or turn of this song, I honestly and truly believe, the accordion player actually switches back and forth between playing in the first position and the second position. And I also believe this kind of things happens more often than we would think! So we almost got ourselves bogged down in the rumor that once you start playing a song in a certain position, you have to stick with it to the end unless you want to fancy it up and modulate to another position. What if some Cajun songs actually call for playing in both the 1st and 2nd position without having to modulate??? And the other instruments in the band will never even notice when you switch between positions! Hmmmm interesting. Oh no! Oh god! I feel the steel trap in my brain starting to take over! Got to go. It beckons to m.................................................

I've always loved that song, especially as done by Hadley Fontenot in the Balfa recordings. I found the B part pretty quick but spent a long time on a very small part of that A part. Dewey's singing in that song still gives me frissons.

I love this song. Suzy Thompson wrote alternate lyrics to it for a friend's wedding and called it "Valse du Mariage". The California Cajun Orchestra recorded it on their first CD.

When my wife and I got married, Danny, Eric and Suzy played our wedding reception. We had them play "Valse Du Mariage" as our first dance.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!