Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Traditional players

Hello Mr.Nedro. That is a good list. If I had to list such players I would have named many of the same ones. You seem to be very aware of the traditional players. There are many unknown Cajun accordionists that are strictly traditional players also. As Jerry pointed out. The Greezy McGill's out there. They come from all over Cajun land and abroad. They play just as good or better than those that choose to play professionally or choose to stand in the limelight. The Sleepers is what I call them. Their music and style is the wild card. The X factor. Back in the time when I would boast that I could play the accordion, I ran into a couple of these Sleepers, and watched them play. And I left with my tail between my legs hardly believing how much better they were than I.

I've seen it time and time again, where a young accordion novice only wants to play like Steve Riley, or Wayne Toups, or even Marc Savoy. They pay no attention to anyone else's music at first. They have distaste and prejudice toward anyone else's music or playing style. And by doing that, they automatically handicap themselves. "Awww, I don't want to listen to that old crap. It sucks" or "I don't like the way those old traditional guys play." is what they say or might think.

Well Confusious the Cajun sez, "That "traditional old crap" is the root and the trunk of the tree. It is the source or as near the source as we have. Always seek out the source. To find the source root and trunk, is to find the entire tree and an understanding of how it came to be what you see now. If one is so ignorant as to only seek out a single branch, the fruit, or just the leaves of the tree, then they shall never know the whole tree nor come to understand it."

In less confusing words, their learning of the accordion will be in ignorance and it will come slow and laced with difficulties and confusions. After a time, when they fail to achieve peace of mind through knowing of their accordion, they will start to second guess the very path they chose in worshipping the abilities of only the most popular players. Besides, we don't need "parakeets" that play exactly like Wayne Toups, or Marc Savoy, or Johnny Fancy Fingers. Greezy made it as plain as the day is long. We need accordion players with their own unique style and rhythm that adds well to our Cajun culture, not takes away or cheapens it. I'm glad you bought this post up. Thank You.

Re: Traditional players - by Bryan Lafleur - Apr 19, 2017 9:35pm
Re: Traditional players - by 33rd Degree Mast... - Apr 20, 2017 12:23am
Re: Traditional players - by Nedro - Apr 20, 2017 7:07pm
Re: Traditional players - by AJ - Apr 20, 2017 9:55pm
Re: Traditional players - by Greezy McGill - Apr 21, 2017 6:21pm
Re: Traditional players - by Meloderon - Apr 21, 2017 2:54am
Re: Traditional players - by Orville Boudreau... - Apr 21, 2017 7:35am
Re: Traditional players - by Meloderon - Apr 21, 2017 9:08am
Re: Traditional players - by Bryan Lafleur - Apr 21, 2017 7:55am
Re: Traditional players - by Meloderon - Apr 21, 2017 9:20am
Re: Traditional players - by 33rd Degree Mast... - Apr 21, 2017 9:42am
Re: Traditional players - by Jeff Hildreth - Apr 21, 2017 6:31pm
Re: Traditional players - by Jeff Hildreth - Apr 21, 2017 6:43pm
Re: Traditional players - by 33rd Degree Mast... - Apr 22, 2017 9:03am
Re: Traditional players - by meloderon - Apr 22, 2017 10:37am
Re: Traditional players - by c j cron - Apr 24, 2017 9:38am
Re: Traditional players - by Bryan Lafleur - Apr 24, 2017 11:20am
Re: Traditional players - by Nedro - Apr 24, 2017 12:08pm
Re: Traditional players - by AJ - Apr 26, 2017 2:02am
Re: Traditional players - by Greezy McGill - Apr 26, 2017 6:10am
Re: Traditional players - by AJ - Apr 26, 2017 11:50am
Re: Traditional players - by Greezy McGill - Apr 26, 2017 8:11pm
Re: Traditional players - by AJ - Apr 27, 2017 11:20am
Re: Traditional players - by Jude Moreau - Apr 29, 2017 3:13am

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!