Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recap - We're pretty sure that...

Johnny Can't Dance - We're pretty sure that the origins of this song go farther back than Lawrence Walker. How far back? Probably beyond the thieving lapin.

Cleoma hit a bad chord - We're pretty sure that back in 1928 Cleoma Breaux fumbled a chord change on Allons a Lafayette. So what? The statute of limtations protects Cleoma from further abuse.

3rd position playing - We're pretty sure that it's awkward for most songs and generally unpleasant unless played in one of those few songs that fit the available notes.

Traditional songs - We're pretty sure that old songs are traditional and new songs aren't. That should be old news, but we can still spend a few days pondering it.

Bayou Pon Pon - We're pretty sure that this SOTM is not eagerly embraced by the waiting accordionists of the Bravenet Forum. Oh, well it sounds like Colinda anyway.

Pseudonyms - We're pretty sure that Greezy McGill, Orville Boudreaux, Blue Max, and 33rd Degree Master share a mailbox somewhere. The conversations between these/this party/parties harkens of psychiatric anomaly.

Jerry L. Moody - We're pretty sure that to truly know him is to love him, but if you don't know or love him, please don't **** him off. Repeat the mention of psychiatric anomaly.

Performance - We're pretty sure that songs get more play here in discussion than in peformance. Many would like to hear the performance in preference to the endless verbal analysis.

Rx - We're pretty sure that this is not the best place to order your drugs. Thanks, Big Nick, for the cleanup.

Licks & Tricks - We're pretty sure that you won't learn any here. We're too busy talking about Cleoma's clashing chords and somebody's stolen style.

Re: Recap - We're pretty sure that...

LOL Nedro. I do not know who Orville Boudreax is.

Come on man, you're from a no nonsense generation. Just like Jerry. Hands on type. No frill and trills. You have to have learned something from all these long talks. Looking through a cloudy pair of binoculars has got to be better than trying to look through a malt straw full of ice cream. I just came along and offered you guys some windex and a soft hankerchiff.

Nedro,

Just as a FYI, I don't need a f****** internet forum to learn a lick. What I need to learn a lick is an old recording, something to slow it down (sorry I don't have platinum ears) and some spare time ahead. That's it!
However, I do enjoy discussing obscure trivia about the music I love, even though it may sound like I'm posting from the psych ward LOL.

Okay doodz now I'm heading to the musical spoons forum, they have a brilliant discussion over there about spoon alloys used in old recordings. Don't wanna miss dat.

I love the discussions about culture, music, instruments, playing here, but I don't like the quarrels :-(
Humoristic, ironic, cynical is oke in my opinion, but sarcasm is a bridge too far maybe and we all have to try not to take all things personal.
Cajun/Creole/Zydeco music is the only music that's hit me in the heart and makes me dancing.
I'm doing my very best to play accordion and want to know as much as possible about it, so I'm very happy with all the contributions of all the insiders from Louisiana on this great forum.

Hey Meloderon, I was thinking about the quarreling that pops up now and again in the Accordion Discussion World. Ever wonder why? It's a symptom of the internet. Everybody gets a say. Sometimes beliefs and myths, and even conspiratorial plots are brought to bare and there go the arguments. Then we have this factor of anonymity which allows people to say what they want for the most part without check valves to stop them and there go the arguments. I have tried to be as courteous as possible because my post are controversial. Sometimes, my kind of talk stings certain people.
There is another factor. The unspoken competition between accordion players. Believe me, it exists in Cajun land. Everybody trying to "Legitimize" their own talent for playing accordion. Has been going on for a very long time. The Cajun people insist on the "Best and the Better". "He don't play so good, He's a good player, He's better than him on accordion, Oh, he's the best accordion player without a doubt, He'll never play good, He's going to get it, Its in his blood, He was born to play that accordion. They automatically jump to judging us and we even judge ourselves. But I fight back! It's a living hell I tell ya. If you're going to play Cajun accordion, you have to be ready for the arguments and be ready to overcome the judgment and grow above it. It's not all lollipops and dragons and niceness in this genre both on the discussion board and in real life. We all know this to be true. Keep playin my Brother.

Hey Orville, just tell me what parish you're in. I'm in Vermilion. I know gat dam well they aint nobody in Louisiana named Orville Boudreaux. Just like there aint nobody that their momma named them Greezy McGill.

Jeez, Ned, and I was enjoying the discussions here. It's kinda like facebook, I can skip over the stuff I'm not interested in, like penile enlargement meds, or the latest childish bickering, and jump into the stuff I am interested in, like playing accordion, ponderings of vague Cajun music and culture discussions, and other paraphernalia. I've even chuckled at some of Greezy's rib poking and pot stirring, which being a long time amateur pot stirrer myself, I can appreciate the efforts of, and among his pokings, he has some good thoughts. I for one, am glad to see new faces here, even if anonymous, because it kind of jump started this forum a bit, even if a bit haltingly. I'd love to see it go back to the days like when I first stumbled on it, when it had a lot of good discussion and a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people, most of who have left because of said childish bickering.

Hi Brian Meloderon Ned,
Still glad to read you here for my very great pleasure.

Life told me that the better ones in something are humble , helpfull, want to share, and are kindly welcoming people.

In my life of runner, climber, guitarist, X-country competitor, and my job and studies of physical practician I did met a lot of teachers, the bests of the bests even some in the hundred top of the world were always friendly and so humble to make you feel OK in front of their enormous knowledge.

You are some of them, simply speaking with others of what you like, in a friendly point of view.

Some like Greezy are not passionate enough about music to understand this,
they are only passionate about themself, and share something only in a trolling, aggressive, and condescending belittling way, just to tell others "Only me know the truth and the real stuff".

The bests are humble, the most they know on a subject,
the most they know about their own ignorance and they still want to explore.

The ones who claims to have done the full range around the circle of knowledge
are mostly advanced-intermediates leveled who can't even see how large the subject is.

The bests are simple not arrogant.

Christophe

Christophe, I'm very sorry you feel that way about me. Life didn't teach you much. You should go back and READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

Hey Greezy,
Let's just say I'm located between Henderson and RiverRanch, figuratively speaking

You related to Telesphore Boudreaux?

I know "Telesphore Boudreaux." None of these guys are him. Telesphore left after a few bad apples, notably Ragin'Cajun (who is still here under another name) badgered him to death. He lives in France and long ago gave up on the baloney here.

I've known a lot of monster players in all sorts of genres over the years and they have been to a man or a woman very kind. Those that are a few rungs below tend to be real difficult. I've met that group as well...

Danny Poullard was extremely helpful to the NorCal players, even hosting weekly jams in his garage right up to his untimely death. Andre Thierry is a smokin' hot player on a variety of accordions and on the Strat or bass. There isn't anyone on this board who can touch him. But he's more than happy to show you what he's doing on the 10-button after the show. Same for Ed Poullard. The good ones don't need to be unpleasant...

Plus 1 on Danny Poullard. RIP

You guys sure have it right about the Poullard's. Both great musicians and even better human beings. RIP, Danny.

Tommy Quinn
I know "Telesphore Boudreaux." None of these guys are him. Telesphore left after a few bad apples, notably Ragin'Cajun (who is still here under another name) badgered him to death. He lives in France and long ago gave up on the baloney here.

Hello Tom,
I know who you're talking about, but the "real one" lived in Louisiana.
http://earlycajunmusic.blogspot.fr/2016/10/mayor-of-bayou-pom-pom-walter-coquille.html

Thanks Chris. The one I am referring to plays to this day (I believe) with Robert Crumb in France. He put out a wonderful cassette of easy to play accordion tunes years ago. A witty, kind man who I think the world of.

I think everyone who's been here a while knows who Telesphore is, I think Christian was making a funny. I'll second Ed, not only for his accordion playing of both Cajun and old style Creole, but for his fiddling, and one of the most genuinely fine human beings I've met. I never met Danny, but if he's like Ed, their parents should be commended.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!