Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Capturing that old style

Was Hadley Fontenot a black man? Go back and read my post, I just did an edit about it being a "black thing".

Nope, it's Hadley that played on the Balfa yellow album on the songs that wasn't Marc Savoy. Hadley may possible have learned it from a black player. But he wouldn't be the first white player to capture some of that black magic, I always thought Octa did. Doesn't work for some of us. To quote David Greely, referring to Cedric Watson and Ed Poullard, "I can't make my fiddle sound like that".

Interesting. Then I stand half corrected then. I'm afraid to say it, but we keep wondering who first played the Cajun accordion in Louisiana and who did the players like Amedee or Angelas learn accordion from? Dare I say there were two factions of poor white players and poor black players entertaining those rich plantation owners at first on the fiddle then later on accordion? Hmmmmm? We may never know for sure.

Re: Capturing that old Slippery Thumb Strap

Didn't want to start a whole new thread for this tid bit of information. But some of you may have noticed that when your accordion thumb strap gets compacted or stretched after a while, it tends to let your thumb slip out during play. Some leather is just that way sometimes. You may "NOT" need to readjust that strap!!

If you're suffering this and your playing next to a fiddler. Have him rosin up his bow real well and slide it through your thumbstrap. The fiddle bow going in and out and up and down will ensure full coverage of sticky pine rosin on the inside of that strap. That thumb wont slip for a while after that, guaranteed. Also, it will look cool to everyone watching this take place.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!