Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Reed banks / register orientation (for builders / techies)

Hi,

On my cajun accordion, the registers (stops) go like this:

MLMH (reed type)
_ | | _ (orientation, i.e., flat or standup)

I suppose it is the standard approach.

Now as one can see, the two M reed banks are in a different position (one standing up and one laying flat). When messing with the stops playing one reed bank at a time, it is obvious that the 2 M banks have very different tones. The flat one (_) is warm, mid rich, slightly muted. The standup one (|) is piercing and louder in the treble range. Both together yield a complex, rich and full tone. The classic cajun accordion tone.

This little experiement shows that laying a reed flat tends to improve the lower end (bass and mids) while making it stand up improves the higher end (treble presence).

Now if we look at the L and H reed banks, the L is standing up and the H is laying flat. This to me seems counterintuitive, as common sense would dictate to do just the opposite (laying the L reeds flat to make them bassier and making the H reeds stand up to make them treblier).

So here are my questions:
1/ Has any builder ever tried to switch L and H reeds position, in order to make the L reeds even bassier and the H reeds even more trebly?
2/ Or perhaps the L reeds can't be laid flat because of their extra size?
3/ Or perhaps laying the L reeds flat would make them muted and too low while raising the treble reeds would make them too shrill and piercing?

Sounds like fun experiments could be carried out.

OB

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!