Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Different approaches to wet tuning

Usually.. that is usually...
when a tuner or someone who wants a tuner to tune to some specific number.. let's say 5 cents.. the question is where to start the 5 cents.

Usually.. that is usually.. it is meant at the middle of the keyboard.

And.. usually the amount of tremolo increases toward the higher pitch.

If you tune the same 5 cents all the way to the highest npot and each note is tuned to 5 cents.. it is a bland sound and as much tremolo on the bass reed as the higest reed is not so pleasant.

Miller suggesting that his tuning is progressive tuning is just another word for what tuners have been doing for a hundred plus years.

I have also heard tuners talk about beats per second.. 1, 2, 3 beats per second.. and this can be calculated in cents or many do this by ear.

Cents being 1/100 of the pitch in question.

Many tuners have their own formula for getting where they want.. no matter if they sart at 5 cents.. 10 cents 15 cents or even higher.. presuming starting at the middle of the keyboard.

I got my direction from the former head of HOHNER USA back around 115. He has since retired and moved to Ireland.. he is an English Concertina player and harmonica player and a harmonica designer/inventor. No finer tuner except for Walter Vergini RIP born in Castelfidardo trained starting at age 14.. moved to Chicago with his father and started an accordion manufacturing and distribution/sales/ and repair business for over 40 years.. Retired to So Calif and tuned my instruments.. entirely by ear to "patrons" he made himself.. genius at work.

Tuning is a science and an art.. I am neither when it comes to tuning. I fumble through.

Here's a little bit about tuning:

http://accordionpage.com/wetdry.html

I'll add another tidbit..
Let'say you are going to order an accordion from Castagnari and a similar model from Saltarelle.

You ask both makers to tune the 2 middle reeds "swing".

CAstagnari will likely tune the reed in the middle of the keyboard to 4 cents and proceed from there.

Saltarelle will start at 8 cents.

When completed The Castagnari is drier than the Saltarelle and conversely the Saltarlle is wetter and equal to Castagnari's "Americano" tuning.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!