Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bass strap installation

John Doucet of Richard, LA makes nice, high-quality straps from scratch. If you're near the Church Point area, go see him. He can set you up any way you want.

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

Tru dat John, I've noticed as little as 1/8" makes a very noticeable difference in feel.

Nedro, thanks for the John Doucet info. I do have a pretty good strap right here. I'm just wondering if there's anything I should know before I drill the holes, hopefull in the correct position.

OB

Yes, I angle mine to where they sit just behind the knuckle. Feels better to me and is more forgiving of being loose. To echo the wise Ned, I really like John Doucet's straps, that's where I buy mine from. Comfortable straps, good prices, and good guy to deal with.

I use the hardware at the end of the strap to mark the spacing, then use leather punch to mark 3 holes in a row on each side to allow for adjustment.

Another plug for John Doucet.

He sells his straps and other parts of the accordion he makes to other accordion "builders".

Nedro the Wise

Mr. Bryan I've may now of heard it all.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!