Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SOTM for May - my entry

Ha ha, I like your humour Greezy!
The opportunity came up at a good price so I thought I'd give it a whirl, I have to try these things!
Will have to get a C box sorted before too long though before I start going down!
In my version I went into 3rd pos- Eb for a while but now I'll have a go at in 2nd.
Thanks for letting us know we got it wrong so we can get it right.
Helpful criticism that.
Hope you're well.

AJ I did notice you take Madeline into the 3rd position. I personally gave you a nod of acceptance silently as "we" watched you do it on the video. Not many people have ever done that, nor ever even had the notion cross their minds for that matter. Good job. Also, before it was too late, I just wanted to give you fair warning about Bflat accordions.
Never take my comments as insults. 9 out of 10 times I'm trying to help.. That's the great thing about a Greezy McGill. He can tell you like it is, or dance around a subject without fear of repercussions because he is merely a somewhat wise imaginary "stick man" made up of the experiences and wisdom of many people at once. He's a good guy to have around. Like a good ghost that lingers about looking out for accordion players. I wish such a ghost would have been there to do the same for me when I started out playing accordion. But there were no critics of my playing. Just critics of Cajun music and musicians in general. Maybe it had to do with my extremely high opinion of myself and my accordion abilities and my tendency to jump right into fits of black rage at the first hint of negative criticisms from others about my playing. Pahahaha. But, I don't do that anymore.

Here ya go John A. This is the best version of Madeline I could come up with. It's on a "C" accordion played in the 2nd position key of "G".

And God forgive me for putting up this next one, but it's being played on a "D" accordion in the 2nd position key of "A" by Fancy Fingers himself. If you have a "D" accordion it might help to take some of the mystery out of Madeline for ya.

Madeline is one of them songs that some people might think is played in the 1st position key of "C" because of the way the singing starts up. No, it's not. In fact, this is one of the songs I cannot play in the 1st position. My ear just won't let me do it. The singing starts while on the push. Singing along with your seconds as follows...
push>>>>>> / <<<<<<
...."C"........."G"
...."Oh Mad / line"
..."Hey Mad / line"

Looks like you were keeping good time with your foot and playing your seconds on time, but you had it backwards. Your foot tap should have been hitting the floor when your pinky was pressing the bottom base button. You should have been hitting slightly more powerful accents on the 10 button side to match up to the drop beat of your foot and your pinky on that bottom base button. If you keep practicing it backwards, it's gonna be harder to unlearn when you decide to finally pay close attention and do it the right way. Give it a try man! You won't be sorry! Want to play like a Cajun, this is one of the ways it starts. Please don't let my criticisms go to waste. Use them to push beyond the veil! LOL, and relearn Madeline, because the song you were playing was not exactly Madeline. You've got to listen to it over and over and over and over again. Like Mr Savoy once said, "You've got to know how to spell the words and know their place in the paragraphs before you can attempt to type the correct story on the got dam typewriter." LOL

When are you gonna put some of your music up Greezy? I'm sincere here. I'd love to hear you play some. :- )

Ditto.

Just under the wire

I had a lot of trouble with this one. Mostly because I'm working on other things right now and not focusing on this one.

I'll come round on this one again in a while and try the words.

You're being modest Ehren!
No difficulties there.
Nice gentle bounce to it- if it was a beer it would would be bright and hoppy with a smooth body. Well served.

Greezy I appreciate your comments and enjoy your wit, there's no doubting that you genuinely care about folks' development on the instrument- no matter what their background, that's cool with me.

Hey AJ,
I know of a couple C boxes up for sale in the old world. Shoot me an email if you're interested.
Cheers,
OB

Ehren! Man, you "almost" had it! I kept time with you just from listening to your treble buttons. You were stressing the drop beat on your treble side as a Cajun would do. But...you were on and then off on the base side. You'd correct it and then lose the base again and it was just a hair of a beat off at times and would switch to opposite of where you should've been. Playing the top button when you shoulda been hitting the bottom base button. Wanna know why? THE FEET! You have to play your feet to keep your accordion in time my man. Had a couple post about this not long ago. Don't deny your feet and heels or you'll struggle much longer than you need to. Very close.....very close.

Thanks for the feedback Greezy. I agree I have more work to do on this one. I'll keep your comments in mind I as come back to this one later.

Re: AJ Try This On Your B Flat

AJ, this is a song that I've always wondered what key accordion Lynn August was playing it on. I believe it is a B flat. He would be playing in the 2nd position on that B flat in the easy key of "F" on the "pull" I think? Can you give this a try and let me know if it fits with your B flat on the pull? Man I sure hope you know how to check the "Recent Post" link at the top of the forum, or you'll never see this now will ya?

Darn- "video not available".
Thanks though Greezy, I'm familiar with the tune- I'll give it a go.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!