Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: One rows Available

Pretty Melodie. I have only played two, and both were really good boxes with a super fast response, but I didn't find them nearly as loud as LA made boxes.

John

True , the MELODIE is not as loud but I look for tone not volume. Get a mic .
And the workmanship can't be beat.. As is true with the Castagnaris
The Castagnaris are plenty loud

Melodie make their own bellows.
This particular box has a mix of Binci and Salpa reeds.

I prefer the quality and workmanship of these boxes, no ifs and or BUTTS.

If either one of these boxes were in "C" I'd own one.

I went to The Button Box website and had a look and saw the 2 Regals "G" & "C", the 2 Castagnari Melodeons both in "D", and the Melodie non Cajun tuning.

The Regals caught my attention because we all should know that Cajuns often bought them back in the day, but these seemed to be a knock off of the "Weltmeister", and they are in that dull flat black. Believe me, the lacquered black would be better for both looks and protection of the instrument's paint job. For what ever reason, these Regals are $400-500 dollars cheaper than the Weltmeisters go for. Maybe it's that the reeds in these Regals are of less value and quality compared to the reeds of the Weltmeister. Don't know for certain. Maybe someone else here knows why? The Regals sounded ok, but could have been better. Sort of cheapish.

But I had a look and listen to the 2 Castagnari's both in "D", and played my Gabbenelli Cajun King "D" along with the videos available for each. It didn't say if they were Cajun tuned, but I'm here to say that yes they are Cajun tuned, and a spot on match to my Gabbi King in sound and volume. Don't know how the Castagnaris would feel for proper play, but they are tuned right! Now, my Gabbi King "D" was special ordered by Greg Mouton of Mouton Accordions near Crowley, LA. I'm pretty sure, (because he mentioned it)that he had Gabbenelli put the better reeds available in it and ordered the accordion in shiny lacquered black. He also went over the tuning when it arrived and made sure it sounded older Cajun style.(similar to Nathan Abshire) and changed out all the strapping to match the "Cajun" preferred look. I say this because those Castagnaris sounded exactly like my Gabbi! And that's a got dam good sound if you know how to play it Cajun style! It will pass at any jam session, but you'll have to play loud by playing a lot of doubles licks to get above the 95 fiddlers and wannabe fiddlers playing along with you on your one accordion. Just FYI.

The Melodie accordion didn't have a video available for me to investigate it more... unfortunately.

Those are not "knock-offs" of Weltmeister.. they are Weltmeisters.

They are rebranded for distributors and shops.

Regal, Welmeister, Gallotta and other names same same.

There is not such thing as "Cajun tuning" unless tuned by a Cajun. It is simply "just" tuning to one degree or another.

12TET is the common tuning for instruments... "just" being used for diatonic accordeons and harmonicas usually playing "blues"

There is absolutely NO comparison of a Gabbanelli ( made by others not by Gabbanelli) and a Castagnari.. none whatever.

Gabbs are a cut above Airiette. Castagnaris are in the top 5% of quality made accordeons.

Upgrqaded reeds for a Gabb one row you mean from machine made to dural.

Gabb is a scam that has worked wonders on the unsuspecting Tex Mex Norteno market and now "Cajun".

I'd rather have a Weltmeister/Regal/Gallotta or a Hohner HA114 before a Gabb..
I have owned the Gabbs..
.. yuppie junk.. looks good and doesn't work.

Aside form that dealing with Gabb USA is a real treat try it. Dare you.

Call them and ask them about reed quality and brand and be prepared to shovel vaca caca.

I'll second that.

Those are not "knock-offs" of Weltmeister.. they are Weltmeisters.

They are rebranded for distributors and shops.

Regal, Welmeister, Gallotta and other names same same.

There is not such thing as "Cajun tuning" unless tuned by a Cajun. It is simply "just" tuning to one degree or another.

12TET is the common tuning for instruments... "just" being used for diatonic accordeons and harmonicas usually playing "blues"

There is absolutely NO comparison of a Gabbanelli ( made by others not by Gabbanelli) and a Castagnari.. none whatever.

Gabbs are a cut above Airiette. Castagnaris are in the top 5% of quality made accordeons.

Upgrqaded reeds for a Gabb one row you mean from machine made to dural.

Gabb is a scam that has worked wonders on the unsuspecting Tex Mex Norteno market and now "Cajun".

I'd rather have a Weltmeister/Regal/Gallotta or a Hohner HA114 before a Gabb..
I have owned the Gabbs..
.. yuppie junk.. looks good and doesn't work.

Aside form that dealing with Gabb USA is a real treat try it. Dare you.

Call them and ask them about reed quality and brand and be prepared to shovel vaca caca.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!