Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Translation of Marion Marcotte's Le Pategau, with revised transcription.

Here is my translation of Marion Marcotte's story, Le Pategau. I translated from scratch but used a transcription of the French that someone else (maybe Bryan Lafleur or Neal Pommier?) posted on another forum a few years back.

It was already an excellent transcript, but I cautiously made some minor changes here and there based on giving it a fresh ear and some resources like the electronically-searchable Kindle e-book version of the Dictionary of Louisiana French that were not generally accessible at the time of the original transcription. The part I found hardest to translate is the line about putting baby Poplette under the stairs for three days to see if she would bark or talk. Hopefully, I got that right.

It's a really, really, funny story. Especially when you hear Marcotte's intonation as he imitates Cousine Poplette and when he describes what happened when she lost her temper.

For those of y'all who have the opportunity to hear the story (Amazon sells an mp3 edition of Marcotte's album for direct download and some of the stories are also on YouTube), please post if you have thoughts on translation or transcription changes. Merci!

Le Pategau - Marion Marcotte

J’avais été à un pategau dans le corail à pauvre défunt Nonc Malin Câlin, qui se trouve douze milles l’autre bord de la Pointe à Mitaine sur la Coulée des Grues. Avant je vas plus loin mes amis, je veux vous laisser savoir que ça ils appellent un pategau, c’est un tirage d’un fusil. C’est quand ils penaient (=pendaient) un z-oie par les pattes une certaine distance et çui-là qui coupe la tête du z’oie d’un coup de fusil c’est lui qui gagne le prix. C’est ça ils appellent un pategau.
I’d been to a pategau (= turkey shoot, shooting contest) in the cattle pen of my poor late uncle Malin Câlin, Sly Lazybones, which is located about 12 miles on the other side of Mitten’s Point, on Crane Creek. Before I go farther my friends, I want to let you know that what they call a “pategau,” it’s a gun shooting. It’s when they hang a bird by the feet a certain distance and the one who clips off the bird’s head with a gunshot is the one who wins the prize. That’s what they call a “pategau.”

Quand j’arrivais là, les premiers j’ai vu c’était ces trois tonnerres de treize îles: Aldon Sonnier, Eugène Griffin et Jerry Dugas. À leur mode, ils étaient mal après se conduire. C’est trois bougres qu’a la tête dans le même bonnet. Ils sont tout le temps après planner des niches pour rire sur quelqu’un.
When I arrived there, the first ones I saw were these three terrors
(thunders) of the 13 islands: Aldon Sonnier, Eugene Griffin et Jerry
Dugas. In their way, they were misbehaving. They were three
guys who had their head in the same bonnet. They were always planning tricks to laugh about someone.

Au même temps, Cousine Poplette arrivait là en waggon avec sa bande de filles. Elle était tout le temps après traînailler ses filles un bord à l’autre, et les introduire à les hommes. Ça elle avait l(a) plus envie, que ses filles se trouvent des maris, mais il n’a pas personne qui grignotait sur l’appât! Quand elle a débarqué de son waggon, la première chose elle a fait, elle a commencé à introduire ses filles à jeunes gens qu’étaient là.

At the same time, Cousine Poplette was arriving there in a wagon with her pack of girls. She was always dragging her girls one side to the other, and was introducing them to men. What she wanted most of all was for her girls to find themselves some husbands, but there’s no one who was nibbling on the bait! When she got down from her wagon, the first thing she did, she began to introduce her daughters to the young folks who were there.

Elle dit : “Celle-là-bas s‘appelle Alméda, il n’y a Cora… Il n’y a Clara… Il n’y a Célina… Olita… Bénita… Angela… Paméla… Lydia… Ida… Elma…Nita… Lina… Oh, elle dit—pour faire l’affaire plus court—elle dit, elles sont tous là. Elle avait toujours pas fini de les nommer. Elle a pris sa plus vieille fille, Alméda, par la main et elle a marché où ces trois malfecteurs (=malfaiteurs), il’étaient : Aldon Sonnier, Eugène Griffin et Jerry Dugas. Ils étaient assis sur une flèche de wagon, après boire du thé de sassafras à même d’une jogue. Elle dit : “Mes garçons, elle dit, ça me donne un gros plaisir de vous présenter ma fille Alméda. C’est la pêche de la bande !”

She says: “That one over there, her name’s Almeda, there’s Cora, there’s Clara, there’s Celina, … Olita … Benita… Angela… Pamela… Lydia… Ida… Elma… Nita… Lina… Oh, she says—to make a long story short—she says, “They’re all there!” She hadn’t yet finished naming them. She took her oldest daughter, Almeda, by the hand and she walked where these three evildoers, they were: Aldon Sonnier, Eugene Griffin, and Jerry Dugas. They were seated on a wagon shaft (the front part of a wagon), drinking sassafras tea straight from the jug. She says, “My boys,” she says, “it’s my great pleasure to introduce my daughter Almeda to you. She’s the peach of the bunch!”

Aldon Sonnier l’a regardée manière … oh, en biais. Il fait, “Hmm?” Il dit, “Non merci pour le gateau, Cousine Poplette. Mais j’en aucune intention de m’accorder (note:Marcotte pronounces this, “m’accorner”) avec un canard d’Inde comme ça. Et je t’en garantis si elle manque, ils vont pas trouver ses souliers au-dessous mon lit.”

Aldon Sonner looked at her, kind of, oh, cockeyed. He goes, “Hmm?” He says, “No thanks for the cake, Cousin Poplett. But I have no intention of getting matched up with a Muschovy duck like that. And I guarantee you if she’s missing, they aren’t going to find her shoes under my bed.

Eugène Griffin dit, “Elle ressemblent* à une chouette. Ses jambes elles me fait penser à deux mies (=mils) de balai qu’a été sur deux briques de savon. Et elle marche manière comme une poule qu’a mangé des graines de giraumont.”
Eugene Griffin says, “She looks like a screech owl! Her legs, they make me think of two broomstraws that went on two bars of soap. And she walks kind of like a chicken that ate some pumpkin seeds.

*Note: Marcotte often inverts je as “ej” and the prefix re- as “er-“, so he pronounces resemblent in this instance as: “ersem[blent]”).

Jerry Dugas a passé la remarque, il dit: “Alle est tellement efflanquée et maigre [jus]qu’à si elle boirait une bouteille de pop rouge elle ressemblerait (sounds like, “ersemblerait”) à un thermomètre. Je suis sûr quand elle était petite ils ont eu pour la fourre au-dessous un escalier pour trois jours voir si elle aurait jappé ou parlé.”

Jerry Dugas made the remark, he says: “She is so emaciated and lean that, if she drank a bottle of strawberry soda she would look like a thermometer. I am sure when she was little, they had to stuff her under the stairs for three days to see if she would bark or talk.”

Neg’, neg’, neg’ ! Hé ti ! Tu parles de “hell in the camp “ après ça, mon vieux ! Les plumes volaient ! Ils ont tellement fait foute Cousine Poplette en colère (ju)squ’à ce qu’elle en bavait. Je suis sûr sa température a monté à quatre cents degrés. Elle a décroché un palonnier après le waggon et elle a approché ces trois malfecteurs (malfaiteurs).

Man, man, man! You want to talk about “hell in the camp” with that, old boy! Feathers were flying! They made Cousin Poplette so mad that she flipped her lid over that (or more literally, “was drooling [like an insane person] over that”). I am sure her temperature climbed 400 degrees. She unhocked a singletree bar from the wagon.

Elle dit : “Mais monstres de bons à rien! (Vous-)autres ersem(bl)e (= resemble] pas du bon monde, vous-autres-mêmes! (Av)ec vos moustaches ! (Vous)-autres me fait penser à trois chats qu’a la queue fâchée ! Et une autre chose : quand la politesse a passé, (vous-)autres devaient être cachés derrière une porte d’hangar parce que votre tonnerre a pas trapilli (=trapigné) tout. (Vous-)autres est plus effrontés qu’un frottoir et vous-autres a pas plus d’esprit qu’un architecte d’une talle de ronces.”

She says, “Well, you no-account good-for-nothings! Y’all, you don’t seem like good people. And your mustaches! They make me think of three cats that have an angry tail. And another thing: when politeness is dead, y’all should be hidden behind a barndoor because your thunder didn’t trample everything! [If I transcribed this correctly, I think this means something like the put-down, “You aren’t as great as you think!”]. Y’all are ruder than a washboard [the literal translation does not convey the play on words in French; “ruder than a rutabaga,” might convey the sense better] and you don’t have any more sense than the architect of a blackberry bush! [i.e., the equivalent of the southern expression, ”you don’t have the sense of a turnip”].

Neg’, elle mordait le fer ! Elle dit : “Foutez pas moi plus en colère que je suis, oh non ! Parce que, tonnerre mes chiens, si je monte à bord de vous-autres avec ce palonnier, quand j’aura (j’aurai) fini ils vont croire, sûr, que vous-autres avez passé l’après-midi dans un barill de chaouis, avec moi, sur vos reins avec une paire d’éperons sur mes talons!”

Man, she was angry (literally, “was biting iron” – similar to an Acadian expression “mord dans le fert” in Maine that means the same thing). She says, “Don’t get madder than I am, oh no! Because, thunder my dogs, if I climb on board of y’all with this singletree bar, when I’ll have finished, they will surely thing that y’all have spent the afternoon in a barrel of raccoons, with me on your backs with a pair of spurs on my heels!

Neg’, elle mordait le fer ! Tu parles de trois bougres qu’a plié le bagage de là, hein ! Mais ça c’était Aldon Sonnier, Eugène Griffin et Jerry Dugas. Ils ont parti de là, j’ai plus les vus au restant (Marcotte pronounces this, “lestant”) de l’après-midi!

Man, she was angry! You want to talk about three guys who packed up from there, huh? Well, that was Aldon Sonnier, Eugene Griffin, and Jerry Dugas. They left there, I didn’t see them anymore for the rest of the afternoon!

Re: Translation of Marion Marcotte's Le Pategau, with revised transcription.

Thanks for the translation! If I remember correctly we were a large group working on this transcription. This probably had the hands of Daniel Blanchard, Dowell Lafleur, Christian Landry, and Marc C, Bryan Lafleur, and me on it from the old L'Anse Grise discussion group.

Re: Translation of Marion Marcotte's Le Pategau, with revised transcription.

Ouais, c'est ça! That was terrific to see translations and transcriptions of Marion Marcotte for the first time! He was so colorful and funny -- God bless Mr. Soileaux for recording and publishing Mr. Marcotte's stories and Mr. Marcotte for providing them!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!