Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Saw a wonderful "Irish" band last night...

Exactly "Charles." Yeah, there are lots and lots of folks playing so-called traditional music, but whose tradition? In the tiny town here on the Mendocino Coast, the Mexican families (don't start with the PC stuff, 100 percent of them are from Mexico and still have that on their citizenship. Great folks by the way) have various parties using the church hall across the street.

Anyhow, they have a Mexican group of pickers who come in and play Norteno music and boy can they play and sing. The accordion player is a monster and the harmonies are as tight as a hipster's jeans. I wander over when they are playing and almost always get invited in because most of the people know me here.

I love Japanese Enka music, even love the mino stuff which sometimes sounds like a sick cat.

Enka for women is stylized down to foot placement. It is an intense lifestyle. And the training is brutal. The singers have managers that are more pimps than anything else. Yakuza gangsters are very close to them as well. The women can sing jazz at the drop of the hat, do pop like a Los Angeles meth freak. Enka is almost impossible to sing correctly. Not for all western ears but I love it. A good glass of Jun Mi Ginjo sake, some squid snacks and I'm good to go... -L- Here's one of the top singers. Notice the minor key -- this is the so-called Japanese "Blues."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dDbeqDFnA&list=PLEAAh87BCDXanlpvTefKZ4Cx0gmbno8H5

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!