Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cajun Accordion Recording Noises

Been asked to provide some small sound samples/phrases from my internally miked C box for dubbing into a recording, by another artist, that's in the pipeline. Problem is the amplified noise of the flappers and the bellows is out of character for the non-Cajun song. The stand alone sound recordings of my accordion have those not unexpected wheezes and clunks.
I suggested a piano accordion or 3 Row diatonic would be better...even a keyboard synthesiser.
But..does anyone know how they don't have single row Cajun flapper noises etc. on recordings ..or perhaps they do. I'm sure I've heard it on old recordings but these days there seems to be a really clean audio result.
I guess one way would be to play into a mic, but is that what the players do now in the studio..both Cajun and Zydeco. Or do they clean it up with technology somehow.?

Re: Cajun Accordion Recording Noises

I think some accordions are noisier than others, depending on the thickness / hardness of the felt on the flappers.

The recent "Cajun Accordion Kings and the Queen" album that can be watched on youtube is a good demonstration. Some accordions are dead silent, some clapclap a lot (all recordings are solo accordion, in the same conditions).

Personally, the clapclap never bothered me. It's a nice organic sound. Same thing for the rockers hitting the bottom of the keyboard. Nice rhythmic sound of wood hitting on wood.

There's a good chance the clapclap would be drowned in the mix too and no one would ever notice.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!