Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

I know this is an old thread, but I must pitch-in re the Hohner Corona lllN Extreme, since I have one also. I'm glad to hear the positive comments for the use of this dandy little box for Zydeco & I give you all "Thumbs Up" on your comments. I have very nice custom built Excelsior Arena IV R (Sol) I had made for me in Italy, complete with Mics, Custom Sequins, back pad, etc. years back for both Tex-Mex & Zydeco. It has a great sound for both & the store owner in OR who ordered it for me said some T-M Gabbie lovers preferred the sound of this one when he gave them the "Blindfolded" test, tricking them into thinking the two Accordeons were both G's. It sounds beautiful for Zydeco when you have all 4 reeds going (LMMM) & plenty wet, but I never got used to the heaviness of the dang thing.
Therefore, in shopping around for a box for both T-M & Zy in the very highly desired Fa (F-Bb-Eb), I tried a lll N Extreme out in a music store (a GCF "Sol" one) & discovered in addition to a beautiful 2-reed T-M sound, it also got a very decent LMM sound, not real wet, but for me quite suitable for Zydeco & well worth it cause it is so much lighter. True, it doesn't get that real wet LMMM Gabbenelli/Excelsior, etc sound, but quite close when those particular Accordeons are on the LMM Switch. Therefore, I searched last year & found one online in Fa - Just perfect ! For the sake of the lightness, the small sacrifice was well worth it & boy, does this baby ever SING ! And for those of you who like the 2-reed Hohner Corona ll Zydeco Accordeon sound of say Queen Ida, etc. you're really in for a treat, because this particular register on this box has the sweetest sound ever. Just sayin' ...."Now, go on down 'n Git Ya One !"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!