Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hohner GC

Cedric Watson plays a Hohner Erica G/C.. and it can be heard on Youtube and on his CDs. He previously played the three reed version of it.. still in G/C though.

Some time ago I watched a video of Cedric .. he was playing a Pokerwork.

The three reed version of the Erica is the Corso. MMM..
I had a great one in C/F... here.. the older the box the better...
especially the celluloid covered wood keyboard models.

Cross rowing is the key to 5th (4th) apart two row boxes.

Wow! Thanks for all the answers so far.
It is a pre pokerwork, similar but blue pearlescent celluloid like you described Jeff.
Have taken a gamble as it's coming from over the North sea, but seen some detailed pics and it was a fair price from a melnetter.
Have watched some Cedric Watson vids and he's magic on a 2 row.
Look forward to digging in.

From Theo in England or "other"

The celluloid "pre pokerworks" are excellent instruments.

A little air leakage attention, padded fingerboard. good to go.

And luckily.. unlike some boxes.. removable reed blocks.

Good score. !

I was thinking about getting one myself as i find my CGF Corona on the heavy side.
I use that one mainly for D. you’ll find the D scale is pretty easy to pick up, most of it on the pull on the outer row. Happy to go through a few tips if we bump in to each other

You might get a UK fettler to wet tune it?

Ian

"Wet" tune a Hohner.. that's funny.

As a stock instrument.. not much wetter than a Hohner.. add to that their horrible factory tuning and .. well you've heard them.

Look up Santiago Jimenez Jr you tube videos.. quite a few with him playing 2 row Ericas.. a few solo.

Santiago Sr invented/developed Norteno/Tex Mex and he played 2 row PokerWork models ...never needed more.

I collect and listen to the pre three row Norteno Tex/Mex players...

On a three row Corona there is only one note more/different/in addition to what is on a three row. I believe it to be a Bb on the F row.
The main advantage is the bases, which most Norteno Tex/Mex players have yet developed. many remove the reeds, half the accordeon.

I have owned a dozen Coronas and one absolutely mint pre Corona ( the best of the bunch) While I like them.. I prefer a 2 row G/C

or a three row G/C ACC as played by the Euro musicians.

If you want to hear what a 2 row can do.. go to you tube and listen to the Dominican Republic players... unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN2KUsHRadg

Santiago Sr on an old wood board Erica... Jr on Bajo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU5n9RW5THM

Santiago Jr on a newer Erica.

Note the use of the basses.

Got my blue Hohner GC and really pleased with it- a lot of fun and light relief from playing a 1 row!
Of course it needs all the usual overhaul work doing and was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to have it tuned.
I like the amount of tremelo it has as is, but for playing zydeco and blues would it be best to have the 7ths and 3rds flatted as with a 1 row cajun accordion?

Tuning a one row to "just" or "CAJUN" tuning is all about playing in specific keys to make the chords "right"

12TET or standard western tuning is a compromise to make all keys sound "ok".

If you were to tune the 2 row to "just" or "CAJUN" tuning on the G/C

you would have a C row that plays ok to itself and a G row that plays ok to itself but would destroy the purpose of a 5th (4th) apart 2 row system which is "cross-rowing" allowing you to play in a variety of keys that all sound good.

Simply put if you tuned it "just" or "CAJUN" tuning.. it would sound like vaca caca.

Hohners suffer from too much tremolo and absolutely horrible factory tuning.

Tone down the tremolo a bit and have it properly tuned.

Bob at The Button Box is my choice of tuners.. there are others.. ( some to be avoided)

And do not get talked into "DEDIC" tuning as is a favorite of one guy back east. He has ruined a few Castagnaris ( my opinion) Castagnaris were not built and designed for DEDIC tuning.

Ask B LaFleur if he wants to take a stab at making a Hohner 2 row sound better.

In England I would go to Theo Gibb for tuning.

Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.
Theo Gibb does my tuning so all in good hands.

Excellent... he can guide you through the technical reasons.. but what it boils down to is the way you would tune a note on the G row would not be the same as that note on the C row.. ergo C L A S H !!!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!