Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Zydeco accordion

That is a big question. We could write many pages on this topic. Here are some of my thoughts and opinions.

First, I suggest either a 4 reed LMMM model, or 3 reed LMM. For zydeco, a 2 reed MM won't really cut it. That bass reed adds what most people would consider to be an essential part of the sound for zydeco.

The preferred key is F-Bb-Eb, although you will occasionally find G-C-F. Other keys are almost never used.

My primary triple row is a Guerrini. It is 4 reed LMMM, in F-Bb-Eb. I have been pounding on it for 25 years and it has help up well. I did not like the factory installed mic, so I replaced it early on.

I also have a 1960's vintage Hohner Corona III R. It is in G-C-F, LMM. I don't really play it at gigs, but it is nice to have it around the house to just pick up and play when I feel like it.

A few years ago, I bought one of those Roland digital triple row accordions. It is pretty amazing in a lot of ways. There is no feedback, which is a real blessing. Also, you can change the key by pressing a couple buttons. That's cool. It's also lighter than my big old Guerrini, which is a bit of a plus.

Nowadays, it appears to me that most of the Pro zydeco guys from Louisiana are playing Dino Baffetti accordions. I don't have one, but I have played ones that friends own. They are very, very good. I don't think you could go wrong with one of those.

I don't think I would really recommend the US Gabbannelli accordions. They are OK, but not as good as Baffetti, and they are very over priced in my opinion. There was a time, maybe in the 90's when it seemed all the big name guys had them. But I think they had problems with them, and they are probably playing Baffettis or other brands now.

If you can, avoid any accordions made in China.

Re: Zydeco accordion - by Dan thrum - Aug 9, 2017 2:41am
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Mathys - Aug 9, 2017 2:05pm
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Jeff Hildreth - Aug 9, 2017 3:17pm
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Mathys - Aug 12, 2017 2:48am
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Jeff Hildreth - Aug 12, 2017 9:06am
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Jeff Hildreth - Aug 9, 2017 8:27pm
Re: Zydeco accordion - by CJ - Aug 10, 2017 2:28pm
I like my Roland FR-18. - by David Sousa - Aug 12, 2017 12:50pm
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Dan thrum - Aug 17, 2017 8:25pm
Re: Zydeco accordion - by David Sousa - Aug 19, 2017 1:30pm
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Ned Cheever - Aug 19, 2017 2:48pm
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Dan thrum - Aug 21, 2017 2:29am
Re: Zydeco accordion - by Jeff Hildreth - Aug 21, 2017 8:14am

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!